Radio Utilization on Wireless MX Devices

Prodrick
Building a reputation

Radio Utilization on Wireless MX Devices

Should the following endpoint return radio utilization for Wi-Fi enabled Security Appliances like the MX68CW-NA?  If not, is there an alternative endpoint?.

Thanks.

https://api.meraki.com/api/v1/organizations/[Org ID]/wireless/devices/channelUtilization/byDevice

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The Meraki API does provide endpoints for retrieving channel utilization data, but it's typically used for MR Access Points. For Wi-Fi enabled Security Appliances like the MX68CW-NA, the API might not return the same level of detailed radio utilization data as it does for dedicated access points.

You can still retrieve some network health and device status information via the API. For more specific information or alternative endpoints, I would recommend checking the Cisco Meraki Dashboard API documentation.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Prodrick
Building a reputation

Today, we use this endpoint for MR & Catalyst Wireless devices, but it occurred to me that we have customers with lots of Wi-Fi enabled MX devices and stats for these devices do not seem to be included in this endpoint’s output.  Please let me know if you can confirm this.  Thanks

Well, the API is typically used for managing wireless on MR Access Points, and it might not return the same level of detailed radio utilization data for Wi-Fi enabled MX devices.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Prodrick
Building a reputation

It doesn't appear to apply to Wi-Fi enabled MX devices (at all).

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I could be wrong here - but I think only devices with the third scanning radio have this functionality.  No MX has this, and neither do any of the entry-level MRs (like an MR28).  I'm unsure if the "motel" series (like the MR36H) has this either.

I could be wrong.  Not tested.

Prodrick
Building a reputation

That very well could be.  I was just looking for others to confirm or deny my hypothesis that this information should be there, and it looks like it isn't (which is fine). I just didn't want to waste time hunting for data what doesn't exist.  I had the same question about getting cellular statistics (RSRP, RSRQ) from MX with embedded cellular capabilities like we can get via API for MG Cellular Gateways.

Thanks again!!!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.