Problem with changing MX uplink settings via the API

cta102
Building a reputation

Problem with changing MX uplink settings via the API

Folks,

has anybody got a work around for a problem I am having with updating the MX WAN ports

We have a customer who wants a script to disable WAN2 on all their MX 64s and it's a quite large estate 

Although setting ["WAN2"]["enabled "] = False via updateDeviceApplianceUplinksSettings does indeed shut WAN2 the problem occurs about 10 seconds later when WAN1 seems to reset and leaves the device without WAN connectivity for 80 to 90 seconds

Although this is a 'just in case' script the customer wants I'm not sure that they would be happy with 1500+ 90 second disconnects across their estate.

I think the issue is because updateDeviceApplianceUplinksSettings requires values to be written to both WAN1 and WAN2

Even though WAN1 essentially has no change it still treats the update as a change and acts accordingly.

Has anybody found a way around this.

Initial thought were

Only write to WAN2 (API complains about empty fields not being permitted)

Use the regular ethernet port to disable the port BUT because the port is defined as a WAN port it doesn't appear as a regular ethernet port any more.

Meraki devs, can we have please address the WAN ports individually in the future please.

Thanks,

Rob...

3 Replies 3
Madhan_kumar_G
Getting noticed

Hi,

Hope this helps. 

Can you try the "updateNetworkDeviceManagementInterfaceSettings" with WAN1 as "not configured" and WAN2 as "Disabled"

Cisco Meraki - Create with the Meraki Platform

cta102
Building a reputation

Unfortunately that has the same issue as updateDeviceApplianceUplinksSettings

I will probably dig into meraki.py at when I get time to see if both  WAN ports have to be written with the PUT request or if I can add an extra function which allows better targeting of WAN updates

Thanks for taking the time though

BTW in the V1 method you can specify a single WAN port, but it still updates both 

Badr-eddine
Getting noticed

Hi, as this is a PUT request, it will perform a complete replacement of all the settings specified in the call, effectively deleting and reconfiguring all existing WAN settings associated with it. In contrast, a POST request merely appends new entries without modifying or removing any existing ones.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.