API Questions for co-termination organization’s license state

thebouv
Conversationalist

API Questions for co-termination organization’s license state

I am trying to help our Ops team generate a report similar to the screenshot here in the Meraki licensing FAQ:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Licensing_FAQs

It us under the question: Show me an example of a co-termination organization’s license state.

Ultimately the report needs to be every device in a single output similar to:

SN, license key, claim date, device type, license term, networkid

Seems reasonable and that I'd be able to get this info from the API since a lot of that, though aggregated, is in that screenshot.

But dang it if I just can't find it. It's not in the License endpoints, nor in any look up of any device by serial. I feel like it is likely somewhere, and I was hoping it was in the License endpoint but that only seems to service per-device licensing.

Anyone have any pointers or clues for where this data might live?

If it isn't fully available in the API, I may have to create a crawler that will combine data from the HTML dashboard and the API, but I don't want to go that direction unless necessary.

6 Replies 6
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Guess you‘re simply looking at the wrong place. Licensing information can (also) be found under „Organizations“, especially the claim dates:

https://dashboard.meraki.com/api_docs#return-the-inventory-for-an-organization

thebouv
Conversationalist

Unfortunately I still can't get license info like term and key from there.  When I include the optional flag, I get:

{
    "errors": [
        "This organization does not support per-device licensing"
    ]
}

And without that flag the only license info is claimedAt data.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is no way to get this information.  Under the co-termination model such a report doesn't really make sense.  Licences are not tied to specific devices for serial numbers.

You would be better of tracking this from when you sold the kit, not after it is in operation (when this information no longer exists).

I'm just a dev trying to help out the Ops team pull the info I listed above as a favor. It's just something they want to pull a couple times a year at most.

The info exists because you can see it in the Dashboard's HTML view, more or less:

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 10.23.44 AM.png

So not only is it in the Dashboard under License Info, it's there for a reason. If it wasn't useful, why would the info we want even be in a view like that?  Not being the one doing buying or supporting this equipment I don't know their full reasons, but to me it would at least be useful to be able to access all the license keys and their terms via the API.  That does seem like useful info, no?

This just sounds more like the Dashboard API doesn't have feature parity with the Dashboard itself as far as data goes which is frustrating, but I'll work around it by creating a bot that just pulls some info from the Dashboard (per the screenshot) and then also grabs all matching device info from the API, to generate the report requested. Heck, probably going to open source it too in case anyone else wants it.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That approach will not be reliable.  You wont be able to handle RMA devices, devices that have been stolen and replaced, or renewals.

However I think I just figured out a way.  Whenever a licence for piece of kit is added to the organisation it appears in the change log - which is accessible via API.  I'm not sure how far you can go back.

https://dashboard.meraki.com/api_docs#view-the-change-log-for-your-organization 

Thanks for that pointer to the change log. I'll dive in on that. Much appreciated.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.