MG41 + MX68/MX67

SOLVED
EliseNemeth
Getting noticed

MG41 + MX68/MX67

Hello ALL,

I noticed the MX67/MX68 does not have WAN POE, the MX68 does have LAN POE. Here's my question, since the MG has 2 POE ports can the MX67/MX68 use the MG as primary LTE or backup LTE? What would be some examples of workarounds if it can work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

8 REPLIES 8
Rainverm
Here to help

Huge miss on Meraki Engineers part not to make a POE port on either Internet port.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Rainverm The newer models have PoE on the WAN ports.

To add context, when the MX67/68 was designed, our cellular strategy didn't exist yet.  That has changed as we developed that strategy with the MG21, then 41, and now 51. The MX75 through MX105 support POE on the WAN ports specifically for that reason.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Installation_Guides/MX75_Hardware_Installation_Guide
https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Installation_Guides/MX95%2F%2FMX105_Series_Hardware_Installat...

To get back to the original ask, how to power it on the MX67/68?  The recommendation without POE WAN would be through a POE injector (802.3af capable), a POE switch fabric leveraging VLAN tagging on WAN 2, or a simple AC adapter.  In my $0.02, a POE injector is an easy way to go and affords you additional flexibility in deployment by not being bound to an AC power plug right by the device.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@javalins are you sure that the MX75 has PoE on the WAN ports?  We have a couple and there is nothing to indicate that there is.  Which internet port has PoE?

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

This is correct, it should read 85-105!

Thanks!

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You can go the MX LAN PoE port route. Just be aware the MX will then detect the MG as a rogue DHCP server and if that alert if enabled you'll get an email. I've not tried reserving the entire DHCP scope and creating a fixed assignment just for the MX WAN port on the MG to see if that prevents the DHCP warning. Or, reserve the entire scope and statically address MX WAN 2.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.