MG21 roaming setup

NeilLatham
Conversationalist

MG21 roaming setup

Hi All,

Is roaming set by default on the MG21 as I don't see any options for this.

(like a phone where roaming can be enabled or disabled)

The SIM is enabled for roaming.

we have a "multinet" sim which will roam onto a different network if the primary is unavailable.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Seshu
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @NeilLatham 

The MG21 is designed to remain stationary. We should not expect it to be roaming on other networks. There is no option to manually enable or disable roaming on the MG21. Please go ahead and submit a feature request by clicking "Make a wish" button on the dashboard. 

To check the status of the connection on an MG21 in your network, please reach out to Meraki Support and we can confirm the network status.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Meraki Team

NeilLatham
Conversationalist

Thanks Seshu

I did try a non UK sim card and found it connected ok via the O2 network

So this absolute trash for a $1200 device not support selecting a different cellular networks. We have a provider in Canada that allows rural broadband SIMs that supports multiple carries so you can select the carrier in your location that has the best signal. My $200 Alcatel device can select carriers but the $1200 POS Meraki device cant. Meraki Get your act together.

Support confirmed this too, they cant even change it on the back end. 

"Meraki Holding your network hostage for a fee!" 

Hello @Chris-8it 

I apologize for the trouble and confusion. The MG cellular gateway does support multiple carriers but will only connect to one carrier at time since there is only one SIM tray. The MG Selects the best network from all the available ones for the MVNO and there is no option to manually select the network on an MG with a multi-sim. All the supported bands are listed here in this datasheet.

If there is a specific MG with a multi-sim having issues connecting to a network in the devices you manage, please let me know the details or open a case with Meraki Support and we will help you troubleshoot the issue and get to the bottom of it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Regards,

Meraki Team

I am not asking it to connect to more then one network at a time, I only have one SIM. However I need to be able to choose the carrier it connects to. The SIM is authorized to connect to many carries and I choose the one with the best signal. Like roaming when you are in another county. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Chris-8it have you found the MG to not select the carrier with the best signal then?  @Seshu seems to suggest it should automatically do this.

It’s defaulting to the Rogers network Snd in this area TELUS has a much better signal strength and much faster connection a difference of almost 40 Mbps faster. We have tested this on the Alcatel device were the client is seeing internet speeds of almost 70 mbps. On Rogers they are lucky if it hovers around 30

Hello @Chris-8it 

The operator is selected automatically based on the signal quality when a multi-sim is being used. Unfortunately, the selection is not manual. So, please submit a feature request for manual selection and let me know if you have an open case with Meraki Support if you see the MG not connecting to the best signal. Support can help you investigate and troubleshoot the issue at hand. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Meraki Team

Meraki Case 05392301

It clearly is not behaving the way you say it should, and even if it were that doesn't help when a signal strength are the same but the back hall is better on one carrier vs another. 

Thank you for the case# @Chris-8it 

I have reached out to the NSE and checked about the case details. We will reach out to you to check if the MG is connecting to the provider with the best signal or not. We can proceed from there.

Regards,

Meraki Team

Jason7
Here to help

Did you ever find a solution to the lack of manual network selection. We have started using the MG21Es with mutli/world SIMs and also find the auto network selection to not be optimal. Sometimes results in the unit connecting via 3G when a perfectly good 4G signal is available on another network. Our sites often run on temporary generator power which is shut down overnight so it might work one day and then the next day we end up with a different carrier. 

Manual network selection options are needed, have this on a 'basic' brand 4G modem/router which is also a quarter of the price. Also any manual APN settings have to be done locally on the device and cannot be set via the Meraki dashboard. Nice idea having the management all in one place but not sure these units are quite up to scratch yet.

Just seen a MG41E is about to launch, perhaps this may improve on this. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.