MG21 on the Vodapfone network in Ireland

SOLVED
awd2010
Here to help

MG21 on the Vodapfone network in Ireland

Has anyone been able to successfully deploy an MG21 on the Vodafone LTE network in Ireland?

We have a mobile broadband SIM, that works with a Vodafone provided LTE Hwauai modem. When we install the SIM in the MG21 we are unable to get a signal, and the MG21 can't find the Vodafone network.

According to Meraki's documentation, and confirmation from support. The MG21 has been certified by Vodafone to work on their network https://documentation.meraki.com/MG/MG21%2F%2F21E_Datasheet

After many calls to Vodafone support, we hear otherwise from them. They are unaware of the MG21 and Meraki in general and advise that the issue is with the MG. Meraki support advises the issue is with the Vodafone network.

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to successfully deploy an MG21 on the Vodafone network (or any network) in Ireland and if there was additional configuration necessary.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SOLUTION:

We received the MG21 WW model and started to see signal strength, but were stuck in the Registered connection type.

After changing the APN from the default live.vodafone.com to hs.vodafone.ie we connected the MG21 to the Vodapfone IE network.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

The link was broken

https://documentation.meraki.com/MG/MG21%2F%2F21E_Datasheet

I have not done an MG21 in Ireland with Vodafone, but here is what I would offer a some steps to try.

1) Verify the SIM is active and works in another device (Mobile phone, another Meraki device, or USB modem)

2) Make sure you can get signal on a mobile phone on Vodafone where the MG is deployed

3) Verify if there is any special APN settings needed for the carrier ( I know Verizon static IP is this way in the US)

4) Verify the MG has connected to the Meraki cloud and got a firmware update (May need to be wired to do this)

5) Check the local status page of the MG and see if you are getting signal, if not its a signal issue, if so config issue.

Thank you for your response.

We have verified the SIM works with a Vodafone provided LTE Hwauai modem, and we have a strong signal.

We've booted the MG into safe mode so it could check into the Meraki Cloud, and download the latest Firmware.

The local status page is reporting continual searching for a signal. Making me believe as you said, it's an issue with the config (APN settings)

Unfortunately, we've contacted Vodafone IE several times with no luck. They claim there are no specific APN settings we need to set. Everything is handled by the SIM and on their end.

I'm hoping there may be someone here who has deployed an MG in Ireland with Vodafone and can either confirm or deny this.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The SIM card isn't locked to a specific device is it?  Some telcos in some countries sell discounted devices and lock the SIMs to prevent users using them in something else.

According to Vodafone, it's not. We should be able to use it in any Mobile Broadband device. USB dongle, modem, etc.

Their support has been reluctant to troubleshoot past that since the MG isn't their own device.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did you get the worldwide version (model numbers ends in -WW) or the US only version (model number ends in -NA)?

Check out the difference in bands supported.

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_MG21.pdf 

We did get the NA model! I'll reach out to Meraki to see what we can do about swapping it for a WW model.

Thank you - I'll update here how that goes.

Can we assume that Vodapfone is the Goidelic spelling? 🤣

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

I had a trial MG21 and I was unable to get it to work with either Vodafone or Three sim card to be honest. However i was able to get a three sim card working in a Z3C, the gotcha being that you needed a cabled WAN to push the APN information to the cellular side.

So far using the MG21 as a replacement for the Huawei has been far too expensive an exercise, using C models has been easier. The Vodafone Huawei is poor, the Three one (B525?) can at least do DMZ. However watch out as i have had a lot of issues with DNS suddenly stopping until a reboot of the modem (on both providers).

SOLUTION:

We received the MG21 WW model and started to see signal strength, but were stuck in the Registered connection type.

After changing the APN from the default live.vodafone.com to hs.vodafone.ie we connected the MG21 to the Vodapfone IE network.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.