MG21 and MX dynamic DNS

Solved
Gordon
Getting noticed

MG21 and MX dynamic DNS

I am wondering how the dynamic DNS on the MX works if you are using the MG21.   Will DDNS use the public IP address on the MG or will it use the IP address assigned to it by the MG.

We want to be able to do the following.

We have enabled DDNS on the MX.   I want to use a cname on GoDaddy to point our DNS to the DDNS address.  This will update the DNS automatically and keep our websites available.   It may be slow but they will work.

1 Accepted Solution
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Gordon

The MX DDNS feature will use the public IP associated with the given WAN interface. If you have an MX WAN port behind a NAT the DDNS will resolve to the NAT, not to the actual IP of the MX.

I've done what you're proposing many, many times. It works quite well in my experience.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Gordon

The MX DDNS feature will use the public IP associated with the given WAN interface. If you have an MX WAN port behind a NAT the DDNS will resolve to the NAT, not to the actual IP of the MX.

I've done what you're proposing many, many times. It works quite well in my experience.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.