MG cellular gateways

TuqueroIMKJerna
Comes here often

MG cellular gateways

Has anyone had a chance to use the MG cellular gateways yet in a production scope? How are they connecting back to your infrastructure? How's the performance vs using something like a Cradlepoint router for a mobile site?

10 REPLIES 10
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee

I use one here at home. But, I also have many customers using them in production.

The MG is essentially a NAT router (like a Cradlepoint). So, it connects via ethernet into your infrastructure. It could connect directly to a WAN port of a firewall for example.Our MX85, 95, 105 have PoE on WAN port 2. So, it makes for a clean install of just the MX and MG with no other power inputs required.

Example

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 07.25.38.png

You can also connect it to a switch and configure a "cellular VLAN" and then any other switchport on this same VLAN will have access to the MG. This is my preferred config as the switch not only provides the PoE for the MG, but also allows me to have multiple MX appliances in my network that can all access the MG via the VLAN and use it as a WAN pathway.

Example

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 07.26.20.png

The MG also has 2 eth ports. So, you can create more robust HA designs that include redundant MGs, MX, and MSs.

Example

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 07.26.44.png

There are even more designs/scenarios possible. The ones mentioned above are some of the common though.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal

They have been working fine for me in New Zealand.

ls08
Comes here often

Currently testing them out with a MX85. I activated the SIM cards for Verizon and had the MG41 was not connecting to the network.  So I popped in a AT&T SIM and still no go.  I set the APN manually and that worked.  I inserted Verizon as the 2nd SIM and for whatever reason the MG41 was using it as a primary and was not able to connect to Meraki Dashboard.  I connected directly to the MG with my laptop and went to 192.168.0.1 to the configuration page and change the active SIM and then it worked.  While also on the config page I set Verizon's APN.  On Meraki Dashboard I noticed it was blank, which makes sense, so I configured the APN on the dashboard. 

Playing around with the MG some more I set the 2nd SIM as primary then rebooted the MG.  MG came back online and then I forgot about it.  Later on the MG lost connection.  I rebooted the device and still not connecting.  I do have a bad signal with Verizon and I did disable AUTO SIM FAILOVER.  So I removed the Verizon SIM card from the MG and then it came back on with AT&T on SIM 1.  

I'm wondering if the AUTO SIM FAILOVER feature would've helped me with this issue. 

TuqueroIMKJerna
Comes here often

Anyone know if there is going to be Meraki Licensing required for these?

Also how will they be PoE powered? If it is anything like Cradlepoints you would connect one of the GbE ports to WAN2 to pass off the Public IP to the MX, and then you would have to use the other GbE port to connect to Port 11/12 on an MX68 for example to be served PoE? Hypothetically if I wanted to put this gateway in an office space outside of the data closet for better reception, now I have to run two data lines and terminate two drops just to be able azar echat to pass traffic on one and power on the other?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@TuqueroIMKJerna the midrange MX models now have PoE on one of the WAN ports.  The MX85 is the lowest end model that does.

Yes, the MG requires a license just like all Meraki things require a license.

Both ports on the MG41 support PoE in. You only need one eth drop to power it and provide the data path.

The MG21 supports PoE in on the first port. And just like the MG41 you can use that single link for powering the MG and the data path.

We use PoE injectors so there’s just single Ethernet run to the MG. Some people will run two Ethernet lines to the MG, one for data plugged into WAN of MX, and one for power plugged into a non-WAN PoE port on either the MX or a switch (and then configure the PoE port to drop all traffic).

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can also get a power supply for at least the MG41, if you don't have PoE on a WAN port and don't like the other options.

KevinGrennanson
Comes here often

We're using 3 in production right now with another 5 ready to roll out (delayed by lockdown), they are only used in locations where we have poor primary circuits and we want to utilise 4G for certain traffic instead of just for failover.

We currently have 3 different 4G solutions (USB dongle, Netgear and MG21) and the MG21 is the only one that provides any sort of analytics.

Pros - Able to manage via the dashboard, can see signal strength, can run a speed test.

Cons - Cost, MG21 is around £500 including license whereas we get the Netgear for under £100 and USB dongle free of charge.

RobertGardner
Here to help

We recently purchased 206 x MG21E cellular gateways to act as redundant links on our production SD-WAN network. I'm currently testing one at home connected to a MS120-8LP and a MR36. I've connected my TV to it via WiFi and the kids have been streaming Youtube and Netflix over it without any problems. So it looks positive.

I'm also looking forward to the 5G MG51 to be released in late 2022. This should offer far greater throughput and speed.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.