Connecting MG21 to a network that is both combined and in template

SOLVED
MattRa
Conversationalist

Connecting MG21 to a network that is both combined and in template

Is there an easy way to add a MG21 to a combined network that is managed via template without having to create a new template?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Haydn
Getting noticed

How old is the template? New templates now support the MG21 (You can create a new template, split it and then combine the MG part with your existing template) 

Having said that I've had to do the steps above with the API as the dashboard demands an enrolment string

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't understand.  Why can't you just add it to the combined network?  There is next to no configuration for an MG21.

MattRa
Conversationalist

No idea. It throws the error 'A bound combined network may only contain bound networks'. Waiting for a reply from Meraki now...

Haydn
Getting noticed

How old is the template? New templates now support the MG21 (You can create a new template, split it and then combine the MG part with your existing template) 

Having said that I've had to do the steps above with the API as the dashboard demands an enrolment string

MattRa
Conversationalist

Yes. I tried this with the dashboard and it will show up in the network template but to get it to work on the individual networks using just the dashboard you have to unbind/bind the network from the template. That of course removes any specified Add/Vlan IPs and goes with a random choice out of the assigned range.

Are there any further fixes to this? Being able to add MG's to a "live" branch using an existing template would be ideal.

JGill
Building a reputation

I've not seen it, but keep getting promised its coming.   Its not just an MG issue,  ALL new Meraki products MG, MV, MT fail to work with existing templates.  The answer, just break your existing production combined networks with Appliances, Switches and Access points,  create a new empty network of type M(x) and recombine.  Problem is if you pull them from the templates and put them back in you run the risk of losing modified settings / ports or IP ranges on the MX's on production networks!!    

Anyone on here from the MG product group (or MV, MT) have an update.   I'd agree this is not resolved until we have a proven way to migrate existing templates without impact to operations.   Should be as easy as "Add Device" regardless of age of template ......

JGill
Building a reputation

Templates are 1 - 2 years old and you can't simply add the device to an existing network.  We get A "bound combined network may only contain bound networks".   And yep, we get the "just unbind your network, add a new environment network and then combine them.   But every tech, and support person gets real squeamish when you ask if the switches will lose any settings or MX's will pull new IP address ranges when we recombined them to the templates.   Talking about production networks, not lab networks.  Everyone goes to test and things get very quite....  So you can see our reluctance to make changes as our initial lab testing did not go well.    Meraki - "Simple Networks".   Simple Add Device results in error...

JGill_0-1623439508623.png

JGill
Building a reputation

Haydn,  

I would not call that one solved.  Unbinding 250 production networks, risking devices loosing any template overrides and configs and / or causing potential outages is not going to work.   Support has not come back with an answer.  It's also not unique to MT as  MV and MG all have the same issues. 

As I've told the sales guys, if I can't simply add a new device to a network, don't expect me to buy them! This is one they need to prioritize and fix, at least if they want to sell to existing companies.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.