step by step upgrades for MRs?

SOLVED
DAIDAI
Here to help

step by step upgrades for MRs?

Hi,

Could I do firmware upgrades MRs step by step?

(For example, Monday 1~10 MRs, Friday 11~20 MRs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi

I am afraid. This may not be possible as of now because firmware update works on the basis of per network not per device.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi

I am afraid. This may not be possible as of now because firmware update works on the basis of per network not per device.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Adam
Kind of a big deal

@AjitKumar is correct.  You cannot currently step the upgrades.  Is there any particular reason why you'd want to do this?  If it is for stability testing do you have any other networks with fewer APs?  We typically do firmware updates on those smaller networks first to make sure things are stable before rolling it out to our sites with more APs.  One potential, but not ideal, option would be to split your devices into two networks.  But that would be only if you absolutely have to do them separate and have no other networks.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
bigben386
Getting noticed

I would like to see the APs to more gracefully update their firmware on the same network so that there is virtually no outage. An AP should stop accepting clients, handoff its current clients to a nearby AP, and then update its firmware. Once the update has been verified, then it can make itself available for clients and then the next AP will update until all APs are updated.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Are you in a 24x7 environment where you can't schedule evening maintenance windows?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
bigben386
Getting noticed

Not 24x7 but I have some devices that do not reconnect properly when the wifi network completely disappears. We have to restart them whenever we do a firmware upgrade.

DAIDAI
Here to help

Hi, everyone

Thanks for replying!

I'm sure that it's difficult to update MRs partly...

Could someone know all MRs update at a time, or different timing?

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi 

Similar devices in a single network update at the same time.

Also I believe the firmware size is in MBs. 

However I shall reiterate the upgrade download is negligible. I have not experienced heavy downloads atleast for MRs.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels