same VLAN wired+wireless

braham2019
Here to help

same VLAN wired+wireless

I am trying to achieve the following using MX65 and MR33/18 AP:

I have a wired VLAN (10) for IOT devices that I don't want in my regular LAN (native VLAN). The MX hands out DHCP addresses (this works fine). I want to access the IOT VLAN from a wired or wireless device in my regular LAN, but not the other way around.  This works fine.

I have a separate SSID that sits in the same VLAN (10) and gets IP addresses in the same range from the DHCP server. This works fine.  The SSID is setup in bridge mode on VLAN 10. Wired and wireless devices in that VLAN can talk to each other.

However, I cannot access a wireless device in VLAN 10 through the LAN.

What am I doing wrong ?

6 Replies 6
braham2019
Here to help

Seems I made a mistake and things work fine now. Can't delete this post.

I stand corrected. Some wireless devices in VLAN 10 are reachable (pingable), others aren't...

Nash
Kind of a big deal

What type of devices are the unpingables?

What are you trying to ping them from? If it's another computer, can you ping from the Meraki dashboard?

Do you see traffic flowing from them when you look at them in the Meraki dashboard?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Any chance you have "deny local LAN" configured on your WiFi network?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/'Deny_Local_LAN'_settings_in_Cisco_... 

I have tried multiple options, including the deny local LAN option on the wireless. When I enable that, also the communiction from the wired portion of the LAN to the wireless portion blocks all traffic (and not only from wireless to wired). I guess this working as designed.

I have the impression that my preferred setup (a single wired and wireless bridged IOT VLAN) does not seem to work with my setup.

Therefore, I've simply added another VLAN, and thus have one IOT VLAN for wired and one for wireless devices. That seems to do the trick for now. 

I wonder if Proxy ARP is messing with your setup. I don't see any reason why your setup shouldn't work. I'd start by taking packet captures and seeing at what point packets go missing.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels