"disassociated because device was idle" AP event log

SOLVED
RichardChen1
Getting noticed

"disassociated because device was idle" AP event log

MR33 with ISE (CWA)

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Encryption_and_Authentication/CWA_-_Central_Web_Authentication_w...

The redirection works, and after entering guest username/pw. I was able to get full network access.

However, the WIFI disconnected after a few minutes - it was my phone, so I lock it after testing.

This is the log I got from Meraki dashboard - "disassociated because device was idle".

Can't find any docomentation on this msg.

ise2.jpg

This issue doesn't apply to other SSID with just PSK, no 802.1x.

Question:

How/where to modify this idle setting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I believe this is more of a client-side phenomenon related to power savings and cannot be controlled through AP configuration or the back-end adjustment of an idle timer.  Is this something that was working normally and then suddenly started doing this?  I've heard of some customers tweaking their DNS and/or DHCP settings with some success, but not sure if that could be related here.  Might be best to open a case with support and let them grab a packet capture (perhaps a monitor-mode packet capture) to see exactly which frames are exchanged prior to the idle disconnect.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I believe this is more of a client-side phenomenon related to power savings and cannot be controlled through AP configuration or the back-end adjustment of an idle timer.  Is this something that was working normally and then suddenly started doing this?  I've heard of some customers tweaking their DNS and/or DHCP settings with some success, but not sure if that could be related here.  Might be best to open a case with support and let them grab a packet capture (perhaps a monitor-mode packet capture) to see exactly which frames are exchanged prior to the idle disconnect.

I'm with @MerakiDave  - I believe this was sent from your device.  Your device said it was disconnecting because it was idle.  It could be related to battery level or a bunch of other factors.

I tested the same setup on a few Android and iPhone.

I was able to replicate the same issue on all iPhones but not Androids.

@PhilipDAth @MerakiDave I believe you are correct on this. Thank you.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels