"Other SSIDs"

rando
New here

"Other SSIDs"

We have Meraki devices installed on our network last year by a vendor.  I'm a general purpose IT support individual who's in charge of managing these before escalating to the vendor when necessary.  I have a few devices on the Other SSID list, and I'm wondering, should I be restricting these?  They're not being detected as "Rogue" SSID, but they're not ours, either.  Not sure how big a security risk items on the "Other" tab are.  Conversely, is there any real reason NOT to restrict them?

1 REPLY 1
Nash
Kind of a big deal

Meraki absolutely gives you the ability to 'contain' other SSIDs that you see. Rogues, others, whatever.

Do not do that. I'm not going to name names, but I've been told in Meraki trainings to not use that feature set, at least not in the US.

Why? Because the FCC can and will fine people for it

If you find an actual rogue on your network, investigate it and then block or reconfigure the device as necessary. Not the SSID. Actual rogues are, very frequently, printers or somebody's authorized work laptop. Or devices that you want to deny access to anyway.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels