number of clients connected to AP

AxL1971
Building a reputation

number of clients connected to AP

This may be a very open ended question but from others in your experience  acceptable number of   clients connected to an AP before performance is degraded

Is 50 clients connected to an AP too many

These are MR57 AP's 

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is generally recommended not to have more than 30 clients per AP, but we know that this is a reality that is impossible, so something between 50 and 60 clients per AP is a good number.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
AxL1971
Building a reputation

on our AP for corporate users we have disabled 2.4 Ghz, is this better approach or should I use both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz for the corporate SSID

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

There are loads of variables here, so there's no 'right answer'.   Think about things like:

How are the clients distributed between the client radios?   (2.4 / 5 GHz - look at Wireless > RF Spectrum to determine how busy the channels are)

Personally I'm not a fan of blanket disabling 2.4 GHz - many environments are short of channel space.   If 2.4 GHz is not over-burdened, in your specific location, then using it gives you more capacity.   If it is already really busy then yes, consider disabling it or minimising use of it.

How much traffic are the clients generating?   many clients generate very little traffic, much of the time

What applications are they using (particularly demanding ones, like real-time voice/data)

What kind of connection rates are being established? (clients connected at low rates will consume more airtime, to send the same amount of data).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels