number of WIFI connection

SOLVED
yeowkm
Comes here often

number of WIFI connection

is there a limit to the number of connection to a particular SSID on the meraki AP?

can we control how many users connect to a particular SSID?

we users experiencing disconnection or not able to login to our office meraki AP, i suspect that this particular SSID has too many users connections.

i have created a 2nd SSID for users 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi

To verify is it possible for you to Turn Off Non Meraki AP for some time.

I am with @PhilipDAth. Ideally we shall not have different make of hardware for wireless on the same floor / area.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I am not aware of a SSID limit however the access point itself has limitations. 

since i have so many user connections, would placing additional AP help ?

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Which model MR do you have now and how many?  Have you looked at the dashboard to see how many connections you have too?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
yeowkm
Comes here often

i currently have 2 x meraki MR-18 and one other 3rd party non meraki AP in the office.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

MR18 are a bit old and I could see how you have poor performance if you have a lot of users with various devices connecting. 

Do you have access to the dashboard so you can look at things like channel utilization and how many clients are connecting and how much traffic they are passing?  I would start there and then consider how to change things or adding/replacing MR's.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
yeowkm
Comes here often

one of the MR18 has more than 30 user connections during the day, with most of them on the same SSID.

where do i look for channel utlization ?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Creating a second SSID on the same AP(s) will make the issue slightly worse as more ait time will be consumed with beaconing.

Using different brands of APs is likely to cause issues.  You might find air marshall is seeing the non-meraki AP as a rouge and is actively disconnecting users from it.  It could be that users are trying to roam and the roaming is not working well between the two different brands.

I would be tempted to replace all three with a pair of MR42's, or if everyone is in one area perhaps an MR53.

@yeowkm in your dashboard under Wireless>Monitor>RF Spectrum when you click on one of the AP's and click on the interferring AP's tab what do you see. Can you upload a screenshot of what you get. 

Are you pushing your client devices to use 5Ghz rather than the saturated 2.4Ghz spectrum?

meraki1.png

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi

To verify is it possible for you to Turn Off Non Meraki AP for some time.

I am with @PhilipDAth. Ideally we shall not have different make of hardware for wireless on the same floor / area.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
yeowkm
Comes here often

have turn off the non-Meraki AP to see how it goes.

at the same time, will get another new meraki MR AP soon

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Perfect. 

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels