iPhones disconnect continuously when not actually in use

SOLVED
RMC
Here to help

iPhones disconnect continuously when not actually in use

Our Law Firm has over 400 users in one building.  We utilize Meraki MR42 and MR52 APs.  Every person that has an iPhone has to select an SSID every single time they want to use their iPhone.  There is no, sitting it down for even 2 minutes.  When you want to maybe check your email or a sports score, or WHATEVER, you have to go to Settings>WiFi>Choose a network

This is insane !  Can someone please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RMC Have you selected the auto join option for the wirless network. You could also try the below.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
RMC
Here to help

I just literally watched it disconnect after 60 seconds.  It's making all the iPhone users crazy and they keep calling me.

I tried updating my phone to IOS version 12.4.1

I put all the APs back to "auto"  "auto"  (I had a few with custom power settings)

I turned off the DFS channels, as someone suggested in this community.

I opened a case through Meraki Support, but I got no help in what the heck to do to fix it.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Can you share your settings?  I wonder if it could be someone nearby sending deauths.  You could try changing the SSID name or adding another SSID to see if shows the same.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Also, did it ever work correctly or is this something that started happening recently?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

It worked correctly prior to this month.  I've sent out an inquiry to the server guys, to see if anything has changed with the re-authentication timeframe.  I included our Security team.  The only thing that stands out is the IOS version switched recently, which would help indict the iPhone images.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>It worked correctly prior to this month.

Check out Organisation/Firmware Updates - and see if any firmware updates are listed as having happened around the time.  If so, you might still have a "rollback" round arrow you can click on to roll the change back.

Check out Organisation/Change Log around that time.  Any interesting WiFi changes happen?

Anything interesting in the wireless event log in Meraki?

Anything interresting in wireless health?

Also I'm assuming non-Apple devices are working ok?

Also I'm assuming you have only Meraki APs.

So, I should make another SSID and name it differently, to see if it continues?

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RMC Have you selected the auto join option for the wirless network. You could also try the below.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Are the iPhone personal property, or business owned/managed devices?
What version firmware are you running?
Can you provide us with how you have Access Control page configured for the SSID in question
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Jack
Getting noticed

Is it out or DHCP addressing on that vLan?

Addressing and traffic
Client IP assignment

Try set your SSID To : NAT mode: Use Meraki DHCP
Clients receive IP addresses in an isolated 10.0.0.0/8 network. Clients cannot communicate with each other, but they may communicate with devices on the wired LAN if the SSID firewall settings permit.
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Since an update I've noticed iOS phones "auto join" on wifi being turned off.

Enthusiast
RMC
Here to help

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I tried about 50% of the ones I could.  resetting the network connections seems to have fixed the problem.  for now.  Let's see how long it lasts.

Thanks again

Seems to be a bug from Apple side.
I did talk to Apple tech about it and they did acknowledge the issue. Resetting network connection fixes the issue but current apple firmware are still vulnerable to it so it might come back again until Apple provide a fix.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels