iPhone texts not sending

SteveNu
Conversationalist

iPhone texts not sending

I'm getting a few reports from iPhone users that texts are not being delivered to Android and non-iPhone numbers.  It seems iPhone-to-iPhone works fine, though.  When users turn off WiFi on their phones, texts are sent via cellular to. But once WiFi is turned back on, texts are not being delivered to Android phones.  I've adjusted the bitrate and dual band is selected.  Any suggestions on where else to look?  

8 REPLIES 8
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@SteveNu I suspect that its an iMessage issue opposed to a Meraki issue. Have you tried contacting your cellular provider?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

A TXT being an Apple and an Android device is - a standard TXT.  You need to contact your cellular service provider a log a fault.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Also WIFI Calling can be enabled depending on carrier feature to send/receive TXTs. Not sure what carrier is being used but just an FYI.

Enthusiast
SteveNu
Conversationalist

iMessages are being delivered to the recipient over WiFi.  Text messages are not being delivered to the recipient over WiFi.  Both messages are being delivered over cellular, when WiFi is turned off.  When cellular option is turned off, iMessage works, SMS text does not.  I don't see how it could be a cellular issue. Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post.

We believe it might be a port being blocked in our firewall.  Working with our network security office now.  Thank you everyone.  

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

SMS is only sent over a cellular connection.  It is not sent over WiFi.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAthwhich is why i suggested wifi calling. TXT still works. Rather or not the carrier offers it is a different story.

Enthusiast
Wires001
New here

Did you ever figure out a solution?

Have exactly the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S9.  Can receive texts but cannot send as long as I am connected to Meraki APs at work.  Works fine if I disconnect from office wifi and works fine connected to wifi at home and other places.  Only problem is at office connected to Meraki APs. Turned off wifi calling and still doesn't work.

SteveNu
Conversationalist

Wires001:  It really wasn't an issue.  iMessage to iMessage works over WiFi, but iMessage to or from Android only works with a cellular connection because it's SMS.  The reports were from users who didn't have a cellular signal to send or receive those SMS texts.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels