Over a very long period of time, I've been noticing some different performance regarding iOS devices (me and wifeys iPhones) and my Meraki stack at home.
I often notice that after the iPhone has been "at sleep" for some time, and then open, it doesn't really reconnect. It is still associated to the SSID, as per the icon at the top, but I can't get any traffic through, and fails pings using Fing.
Not until I disable WiFi and enable it again, traffic again flows over WiFi.
The implication of this is that the iPhone looses connectivity to different streaming devices (my glorious Chromecast Audio).
Now I realize that iPhone, will disable it's NIC to conserve energy (Power Save Mode).
As soon as this occurred, I grabbed my Mac and took a packettrace on the channel with Airtool (v1.9.1).
Here comes the interesting part; in the trace I can see the air being flooded with Null Frames, which I can see stems from my iPhone. It's was as if it's informing my AP - continously - that it is going to sleep, and not getting a reply. 1 send, 6 retries; Send and two first retries at 6 Mbps rate, and the rest at 12 Mbps TX rate.
I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this? I can't really decide if this is a bug or a feature, Apple or Meraki related.
I’ve been using full stack Meraki at my home with sever Apple devices for at least 4 years. The only issues I can recall are one that was pretty specific to packet loss using the RingCentral app and I have on rare occasion grabbed my phone and seen it appear to “catch up” on notifications from the last hour or so. That only happened a few times and it might been an expected result if a device being in low power mode.
I have a similar problem. I use several iPhones, an iPad and 2 MacBooks. For several months now the iPhones, iPad and sometimes the Mac's have been losing connection to the Wifi network. On the device it shows as active, but you can neither ping the device nor does the device have an internet connection. The only thing that helps is turning the WiFI off and on. In the Dashboard, this is visible under WLAN in the Health tab as a failure. The attached screenshot shows what this looks like. Unfortunately Meraki support is unable to deal with this. The only advice I got was to change the encryption from WPA3 to WPA2. I additionally use 802.11r adaptive as well.