how to use my wireless Meraki Access point as a wireless booster for my home wifi ?

Enzomen
Just browsing

how to use my wireless Meraki Access point as a wireless booster for my home wifi ?

I currently have an AT&T connection at the 1st floor of my house but the sgnal does not cover the entire house. Builder did have a drop at the first floor where I have a small switch connnected to and have all my equipment, TV, .. connected. 

My goal is to extend the signal of my wifi buy instaling a nother Wifi Access point on the first flow connected to the bottom swith with the same SSID and password. 

so my question is can I use my Wireless Merak MR as a Wifi repeater in order to cover the first floor while the ATT wifi is covering the first floor ?

if yes how would I get this done ?

6 REPLIES 6
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Meraki AP will require an ethernet connection to come online

If you have a Meraki AP on the first floor, and another one on the 2nd floor that does not have Ethernet, then the 2nd floor AP will connect to the first floor AP via mesh.

You could try using Power-Line adapter to get the 2nd floor AP 'ethernet' connected.

As long as both AP have the same SSID/PSK and are on the same network/subnet then technically any AP will work.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

To be clear; a Meraki AP will only mesh with another Meraki AP.

Are you really don't dont' use to use repeaters.  Everytime you use a repeater you loose at least 50% of the throughput.

I would consider using a powerline adaptor like @NolanHerring  suggests.  Note that the actual throughput is usually 10% of the "speed" advertised.  So a 1Gb/s power line adaptor usually has 100Mb/s of throughput in good circumstances.

I had had good luck using the Dlink series.

Home wifi project design.jpg

here is the desgin for the project. So you means I can not have an AT&T regulare home wireles router mesh with a muraki AP on and make this either a second SSID different from the upper one or the same and make sure I can have internet as the second floor ?

I did make this work using an old cisco AP but the singla is week - SO i though I might be having a lot of chance using a muraki AP. please advise if this is possible or not. 

I will be open to a Webex session if you want. 

Hello, Nolan-

I have used power link in the past but the signal is still weak.

reason why I am using a Enterprises soluttion. 

please advise. 

You confused @NolanHerring and @PhilipDAth by using the word "repeater". 

You're actually just deploying an extra AP with the same SSID as your AT&T router. That's easy to do. Just define the SSID in your Meraki dashboard and configure it identically to your AT&T one. This has some basic info:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Configuring_Simple_Guest_and_Inte... 

You can leave channel assignment to auto or manually configure a different channel so the two APs don't collide with each other:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Radio_Settings/Manua... 

Also make sure if you use bridge mode that you disable DHCP on one of the devices:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Configuring_DHCP_Ser... 

Dear Brech-

Thank you for the update - will do and keep you updated.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels