hostname not showing in Ekahau results

Solved
EnriquePeSa
Here to help

hostname not showing in Ekahau results

hello community!
Today we carried out a site survey study on the site and we observed in the results that the hostname of the MR does not show, only the MAC, which complicates the tracking of the MR, I found a post that seemed interesting to me https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/Enable-AP-name-advertising/m-p/29045, some idea of how be able to solve this

1 Accepted Solution
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

You may need to open a case with Meraki in order to enable AP Name advertising again.

It was removed from the CCX extensions some firmware releases ago.

See this

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

You may need to open a case with Meraki in order to enable AP Name advertising again.

It was removed from the CCX extensions some firmware releases ago.

See this

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@rhbirkelundis correct.  The names were conveyed in an IE coming from the beacons of the AP's.

Your current survey won't be fixed so you'll have to manually edit them.

Depending on the amount of SSID's you have and for what SSID you were surveying the MAC adresses of the AP's in dashboard will be almost the same as the ones in your survey.

If you search the 4th, 3rd and 2nd last mac address character you will find the correct AP.  the last character changes with the VAP (SSID).

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ekahau will show AP hostnames when Aironet IE is enabled, but it is a legacy protocol and Meraki APs are not compatible with Aironet IE.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
EnriquePeSa
Here to help

Today I ran the test again and the problem has been resolved. We were able to get the name of the AP in the results. It was necessary to open a case with Meraki since that option is not available on the dashboard. Thank you very much for your contributions, they were very helpful.

KevC
Conversationalist

Hate to be a resurectasaurus on this thread😁. However, what did Meraki do to resolve the Hostname in Beacon issue if you don't mind me asking.

I have a large survey to complete very soon and I really could do with seeing the Hostnames presented.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Aironet IE is something from Aironet AP's, not Meraki AP's.  I don't think they have added the feature.
If you are doing a survey with a tool like Ekahau you can edit the measured AP names and just use the mac address to compare to the dashboard AP's.

You do have to account for the last hex character counting up for each SSID.  So you best search for the last 4 digits and ignore the last one.

Definitely not, Aironet IE is a legacy feature and should be disabled, so Meraki devices do not support it.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels