chromecast to guess and network wifi

Frank1
Comes here often

chromecast to guess and network wifi

anyway to allow chromecast to board cast to both my corporate network and guess wifi 

I was told by a user they where allow to do this prior.

Not sure what change since I inherit this network

If anyone has document on how to set this up please send instructions

3 Replies 3
Ben
A model citizen

The way I would set this up

Corp-WiFi :   VLAN 1 (eg: 192.168.1.0/24)

Guest: VLAN2  (eg: 192.168.2.0/24)

Put the Chromecast on the Guest WiFi with a static IP (eg: 192.168.2.200) and allow the clients from the corporate network to communicate to the Fixed ip from the chromecast and the other way arround. 

But make sure you put a Deny on all other traffic coming from the guest VLAN towards the Corp network and back.

If you are working with Meraki DHCP this is not possible since 2 WiFi clients on Meraki DHCP are not able to communicate with eachother

Cheers,

Ben

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

i think this has never worked. unless you proxy your mDNS packets to the other vlan. maybe @Uberseehandel knows. ?

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@ww wrote:

i think this has never worked. unless you proxy your mDNS packets to the other vlan. maybe @Uberseehandel knows. ?

I think it can be made to work, but it may take more time than justified.

However, what I did was split the network into two. So there are now dual stacks with separate APs on each network. The MX uplinks to a WAN port on another brand security gateway that also has its own switches and APs.

So all the IoT, speakers, smart house kit, playout centre, Chromecast players,  multicast devices, smart monitors, Audio and Visual processors and Guest network are on the naughty step and the trusted devices are behind the MX attached to an MS.

Secure devices are only connected to insecure devices using HDMI, not Ethernet. Secure phones/tablets that need to initiate Chromecast streaming for an ephemeral link to the Chromecast VLAN and as soon as the Chromecast capable device starts playing, the link is broken. This all works quite transparently. But my electricity bill has gone up noticeably.

I am very cautious about Bluetooth, but that is another story.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels