can't connect chromecast generation 1 to SSID

SOLVED
gavin
Comes here often

can't connect chromecast generation 1 to SSID

I can't connect chromecast generation 1 to SSID. SSID is configured for bridge mode. I am unable to connect chromecast generation 1 to my Meraki AP- MR33, running version MR 24.12. any suggestion?

Do I have to enable multicast to fix it? it was not working on my fortinet AP but it started working as soon as I enabled multicast.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mikey
Conversationalist

I ran into this issue as well at my office. I'm not sure if this is an "official fix" , but I created a group policy on my wireless network for the Chromecast to bypass the splash page. This was strange because my network doesn't use a splash page, but it has worked since.

1. Log in to Dashboard.

2. Navigate to Configure > Group Policies.

3. Click Add a group.

4. GIve the group policy a name (for example, “Bypass Splash Page”)

5. Select “Bypass” in the Splash drop-down

6. Click Save at the bottom of the page

Mikey Romero
IT Guy!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@gavin wrote:

I can't connect chromecast generation 1 to SSID. SSID is configured for bridge mode. I am unable to connect chromecast generation 1 to my Meraki AP- MR33, running version MR 24.12. any suggestion?

Do I have to enable multicast to fix it? it was not working on my fortinet AP but it started working as soon as I enabled multicast.

Gavin

I have a couple of A/V devices in my test network that have Chromecast built in. It is very convenient to be able to cast from a phone to one or other of them. I have found that it works very well when the SSID the wireless device connects to uses the same VLAN that the Chromecast A/V player ethernet connected devices are members of.

So smartphone - VLAN 111

SSID               -  WPA2-PSK, L3-roaming, VLAN tag 111, not isolated, not blocked from LAN

VLAN 111 allowed on WAP and switchport WAP is connected to.

The MX does not handle multicast properly (cannot configure IGMP-proxy), so make sure the VLAN connection does not need to be routed via the MZ ; simplest to plug the WAP and the multicast capable device into the same switch and configure IgMPv3 snooping on the switch.

I have found out the following from Google - 

You will need to disable AP or client isolation on your router in order to set up Chromecast. -- See What router settings do I need to set up Chromecast?
With that being said,  If you have strong knowledge of firewalls, , you can set things to allow certain traffic.
Which ports does Chromecast use when connecting to external services?
        • HTTP:  TCP/80
	• HTTPS:  TCP/443
	• DNS:  UDP/53
	• SNTP:  UDP/123
Which ports are used by Chromecast to communicate with computer/phone/tablet in the same network?
	• SSDP:  UDP/1900/multicast
	• mDNS:  UDP/5353/multicast
	• TCP/8008
	• TCP/8009
Hope this information helps.

Even with this information I am having no joy at getting a smartphone on one VLAN to communicate with a Chromecast device on another VLAN. Cisco has a Chromecast Deployment Guide, Release 7.6 the information therin leads me to believe that Meraki does not yet handle this situation as multicast is not fully functional at this time.

I have tried enabling Bonjour which desn't help, I configured the VLANs so that the one of the VLANs super-netted the other and Meraki refused to configure that.

With everything on the same VLAN, it works just fine.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

its not connecting the Wi-Fi?

for testing, make a new ssid with a simpel ssid name. 

enable wpa1+wpa2

disable 802.11w

disable band steering.

configure the lowest minimum bitrate.

try connecting the new ssid

Mikey
Conversationalist

I ran into this issue as well at my office. I'm not sure if this is an "official fix" , but I created a group policy on my wireless network for the Chromecast to bypass the splash page. This was strange because my network doesn't use a splash page, but it has worked since.

1. Log in to Dashboard.

2. Navigate to Configure > Group Policies.

3. Click Add a group.

4. GIve the group policy a name (for example, “Bypass Splash Page”)

5. Select “Bypass” in the Splash drop-down

6. Click Save at the bottom of the page

Mikey Romero
IT Guy!

When I try to connect my SID with 1, I ma actually do not know what to do in this condition, Now I ran into my office after creating this group for my site, after setting all the things there is also a trouble which I try o resolve with 

https://notresponding.net/8-solution-steps-chrome-err_ssl_protocol_error/  and this steps are really helpful to me.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels