Wrong client names

DH_912
Just browsing

Wrong client names

Hello,

Some of the client names are not showing up correctly on the Meraki Dashboard.

I recently renamed my Unifi access points within the Unifi environment, but the old client names are still showing up in Meraki. There are other examples as well. 

Examples:
- AP 10.1.0.52 (static IP) should be 7th - 52, but it is still showing up as 5A

- For another AP, the mac address is being used as the client name instead of what I named it in Unifi

- I renamed my iPhone, and the new name shows up in Unifi, but it did not change in Meraki.

Is there a way I can fix this without manually renaming all of the clients?

Thanks for your help.

7 Replies 7
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DH_912  Unifi is not a Meraki product so I am confused as to what the problem is. The Meraki dashboard looks up device hostnames, if the device has not host name is will simply display its MAC address. 

Thanks for your reply. 

I know that Unifi is not a Meraki product, but the issue seems to be Meraki (although I could be wrong, that's what I'm trying to figure out). 

I gave my access points new names, and I renamed my iPhone, but the new names are not reflected in the Meraki dashboard. Interestingly, I renamed my MacBook Air and that was reflected in Meraki. 

I know the hierarchy of naming is as follows: 

- User-specified Name (dashboard)
- MDNS Name (Bonjour)
- NetBIOS Name
- DHCP Hostname

All clients have names, but I'm trying to figure out why when I set the name on the device itself, it's not showing up in Meraki. I'm hoping to avoid renaming them manually within the Meraki dashboard. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DH_912 what are you using for DNS and does that show the correct names?  I find pretty much nothing on our network shows a device set name and I'm not surprised as we run our own Windows DNS, rather than using Meraki devices for it.

DH_912
Just browsing

We don't have a separate DNS server, just Google Public DNS under DHCP. We use Unifi for our access points and a Meraki firewall and switches.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know the answer.

I think when the Meraki dashboard assigns a name to a client that it is permanent, and the auto-naming system no longer runs for that client.  From then on you have to configure it manually.

@PhilipDAth  That has been my experience as well.  We have had issues here where new Windows clients would get some bogus MDNS name when we added them to the network, I turned off MDNS and it made no difference until I told the dashboard to forget that client, then when it re-detected it the hostname was correct.

I think that's what happened.....I inherited the system after it was set up, and I believe the clients were manually named and therefore weren't auto naming 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels