Wireless Roaming between different SSID

gabrielcouto
Here to help

Wireless Roaming between different SSID

I am working in wireless network project and my client request me to create 2 SSID for different building but he would like to roam between these without reauthenticate. Both SSID distribute the same DHCP scope and the authetication metod is via external splash page for captive portal.

Has anyone implemented a similar solution?

4 Replies 4
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

What's the purpose of having two different SSID's if they are using the same backend/network configurations? I'd just keep the SSID standard throughout the two buildings?

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To avoid re-authentication their would have to be sufficient coverage that the connection would not drop when moving between the two buildings - in this the case?

Obviously the SSID needs to be the same in both buildings.

Next, do the two buildings share the same layer 2 vlan (and are connected at layer2)?  If so, bridge the SSID in each building to that same VLAN.

Failing that, are the two buildings connected at layer 3?  If so, use layer 3 roaming rather than bridging - but the result is not as perfect.

At this case, the client request me to create two SSID, but he would like to roaming between them without any re-authentication. Both SSID are the same layer 2 vlan, but I believe that it is not possible.

We are purposing another solution for that.

Thanks for all replies.

@gabrielcouto wrote:

At this case, the client request me to create two SSID, but he would like to roaming between them without any re-authentication. Both SSID are the same layer 2 vlan, but I believe that it is not possible.

On the positive side, if the client understood what they were asking, they wouldn't be needing you to implement their half-baked ideas.

Whenever there are "tricky" WiFI design schemes, it is like a warning sign that the design has been implemented before it has been fully resolved. It happens all over IT/IS.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels