Windows 10 wifi issues

michaelpersaud
Here to help

Windows 10 wifi issues

Hey all,

I recently started having colleagues with Mac books running bootcamp to Windows 10 (Broadcom 802.11ac wireless adapters) connecting to wifi but whilst I can ping and run nslookups web pages do not load. These same machines work correctly when hot spot over 4G cellular.

Both networks having the issue have Meraki MR52 access points. After ruling out wired infrastructure & firewalls I believe the issue is with the Meraki infrastructure. To test this I've brought one of the devices home to my MR33 network and can replicate the issue (different switches and firewalls).

The devices are all up to date with the Windows and networking drivers.

If anyone has similar issues can you please let me know what i'm missing?

Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @michaelpersaud 

I am not sure if this helps you.

Could you please try the following if already not?

1. Browsing in Incognito Mode.

2. Whitelisting the device on the Meraki Dashboard,

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

Thanks for the speedy response. Unfortunately no browser works regular or private/incognito. I tried the whitelisting but the issue persists.

Cheers

Mike

When I Google "bootcamp Windows 10 no Wi-Fi" I find a lot of issues related to the broadcom drivers. Maybe this will help:

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT207591

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also from the Meraki point of view what firmware are you running, is it the same at home or different, what release of Windows 10 are you running and what Macbooks are involved?

Both wifi networks are version: MR 25.13.
Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18363
Mac: Mac Air 7,2 (13" 2017)
Card: Airport Extreme (firmware: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 7.77106.3)

I also tested using a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter on both networks and that works so its definitely narrowed down to wifi on Meraki and not wifi on 4G hotspot.

Thanks.

Can you test with one of your AP's on 26.6 and post results.
Are you able to perform packet capture as well?
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Thanks B. That was one of the steps taken to ensure that drivers are up to date. Then I also manually removed and tried adding a few older drivers but it kept suggesting that I had the most current driver.

ThibaultH
Here to help

Hey Michael,

Are you using any Web proxy on your WAN Infrastructure ? 

Could you try disabling (or enabling it if disabled) auto proxy in your browser & OS settings and try again ?

🤘

Linkedin |Twitter@ThibaultHenry
Ch'timi from the heart

No proxy servers.
michaelpersaud
Here to help

I think i may have temporarily solved the issue so gives me more time to try to figure a permanent solution. It may or may not be now the Broadcom card with the specific driver version interacts with Meraki or just the wifi card(s) being an issue. All the info documented here:
https://myitengineer.com/windows-10-wifi-connected-but-no-internet-macbook-with-bootcamp/

Oh thanks for reporting back. Hopefully a more permanent fix comes out at some point.

I do too. Will see if I can escalate with Microsoft since I just got wind that there is another company in our region that's having the same issue.

So fun fact a colleague from a different company came by for help with his Macbook 15" Pro 2017 that has no browsing ability from the browser or a curl command when connected via usb-c ethernet dongle, hotspot or wifi but can do nslookups and pings.

He is running Catalina 10.15.1 and had rebooted after an update this morning and of course his chipset is Broadcom.

Looks like this might become a trending issue now, and if it does I'm already planning my strategy to tackle the 100+ Mac's in my environment.

Same here Mike.

A friend of mine got the similar issue on Windows 10 after the recent update. [MAC Bootcamp]

However it seems to work well with Z1 not with Z3.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Bossnine
Building a reputation

So this is only on MacBooks running bootcamp and Win10?  Or does it affect running the Mac OS also?

I have a similar problem to this except my machines are running macOS 10.14.4-10.15.1 (I am not running bootcamp) with MR34 APs on Meraki firmware 25.14. This occurs with 2018 13" MacBook Airs (MacBookAir8,1) on the AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x843) wifi card with firmware 9.113.2.0.32.5.36 (macOS 10.15.1). The symptom seems to be that all of a sudden the device stops being able to access the Internet and/or Internet speed grinds to a complete halt. For example running the speed test on my.meraki.com while this is happening I see throughput at 0.24 Mbps whereas when things are working fine I am at 75 Mbps+. While the problematic client speed drops to 0 I am able to speed test on another laptop, connected to the same AP on the same 5Ghz radio and speed test at 75 Mbps+ at my.meraki.com. When the problematic client speed drops, I am still able to ping the AP, my local gateway, and Google DNS with very little latency and zero dropped packets from the problematic device. 

As a test I created a new SSID and disabled the 5Ghz radio. I migrated the problematic client to this SSID and I have not had this problem reoccur. It seems to be related to the 5Ghz radio either on the Meraki side or on my Macs. I have expanded my test to a few more devices to see if this continues to "help" with the situation. I have a case open with Meraki on this and I will be opening one with Apple next week.

Discovered I had this issue today and after lots of mucking around (over several hours), removing the wifi adapter in Device Manager, along with the current drivers for it, and re-adding it via a scan (as described above by michaelpersaud ) fixed it.

My Macbook booted into OSX 10.14 initially connected fine to the Meraki AP and another AP we have at home, and browsed sites fine on either SSID from either AP.
When booted into Windows 10 the device was fine on the other brand AP, but while it connected to the Meraki AP and got an IP (DHCP), gateway and DNS address fine (and could ping stuff on site or off fine) web pages would take minutes to load, would partial load or wouldn't load (Chrome and Edge)

The replacement of the wifi adapter drivers has pages loading snappy again via the Meraki AP. Note that my iPhone on the Meraki AP seemed fine (Safari as browser).

This issue may have surfaced days or even weeks ago without me noticing, this device (if in Windows) is usually on ethernet and not wifi.

Thanks for the suggestion and assistance folks !

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels