cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 wifi clients in Meraki MR42 (firmware 25.13) environment

Comes here often

Windows 10 wifi clients in Meraki MR42 (firmware 25.13) environment

Hello,

we have MR42s installed with firmware 25.13 (and experienced this with firmware ver 25.11) where we have seen Windows laptops exhibit the following:

1) laptop is brought in from home and fails to connect to default programmed SSID (WPA2 key'ed).

2) laptop just loses an internet connection.

3) laptop has poor reception (clicking on the wifi icon in the system tray didn't see any networks, yellow '!' appears).

4) laptop shows no internet secured (clicking on the wifi icon in the system tray)

we have noted the following 

a) a windows security update did fixed a one-minute lag (mentioned in item #4 above) in auto-reconnecting to the default programmed.

b) just discovered that today.... a windows settings > networks & internet > status:  clicking on the network reset button seems to resolve item #1 above.

However, just to be thorough, has anyone seen any issues with MR42s (ver 25.13) using WPA2?  Any insights related to Windows 10 settings/fixes would also be most welcomed.

Thanks, -Tom

5 REPLIES 5
Kind of a big deal

Re: Windows 10 wifi clients in Meraki MR42 (firmware 25.13) environment

I would lean towards this being potentially a laptop issue versus MR42. What specific wireless chip-set do your laptops have and what version driver are they on?

If it is on the Meraki side, I would look at the config first
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Kind of a big deal

We haven't had any issues with clients connecting to MR42's using 25.13 across our entire customer base.

I'm with @NolanHerring, with this being a notebook chipset issue.  Are there some common brands or models with the issue?

My next thought is you might be having RF issues.  If you are using 2.4Ghz spectrum - see if you can turn this off and only use 5Ghz. 2.4Ghz has too many issues these days.

Comes here often

We have several Dell Latitude E5450 (AC-radio) and Dell Latitude 3330s (N-radio).

Dell and HP14 chromebooks are very stable (both AC radios).

Kind of a big deal

If the Chromebooks have a solid connection, and in the same environment the Dell Latitudes do not - it has to be the Dell Latitudes.

Are their any WiFi driver updates available for them?

Comes here often

Is it possible that the MR42 may encounter trouble with the windows laptops if they are the last to associate after several chromebooks and a dozen or so Android/iPhones do so first?  I know the MR42 model are rated for 75 devices so I'm inclined to think it is still a device driver or hardware issue on the Windows laptops.

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Points Contest
Join us for a month-long contest with heaps of swag to win!

Learn More ›