Will MR42E work without external antenna

SOLVED
kyd
Comes here often

Will MR42E work without external antenna

Hi all,

Can someone please give me some advice whether MR42E will work without external antenna?

The reason I asking is I not sure if the MR42 will have good coverage for my office so looking into option of buy MR42E instead.

If coverage is not good enough, than will purchase external antenna to boost the signal.

Is this workable?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The MR42E has no internal antennas whatsoever, so in effect it will not work without external antennas. I don’t know if Meraki took the effort to either block the radios from coming online without an antenna attached or otherwise safeguarding the unit itself from physical damage, but even if that’s the case, you effectively will have no wireless coverage.

In my line of work I have tested client devices with no antennas attached and they have maybe 6 inches of wifi reception at extremely low data rates, enough to get an IP address... but it’s effectively useless.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

MR42E
Dual-band, 802.11ac Wave 2 access point with
external antenna connectors for general-purpose
Wi-Fi and focused coverage

Enthusiast
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need external antennas.  Don't use it without attaching antennas.

Without a way of dissipating the RF energy, you risk damaging the radios if you don't use antennas on it.

The MR42E has no internal antennas whatsoever, so in effect it will not work without external antennas. I don’t know if Meraki took the effort to either block the radios from coming online without an antenna attached or otherwise safeguarding the unit itself from physical damage, but even if that’s the case, you effectively will have no wireless coverage.

In my line of work I have tested client devices with no antennas attached and they have maybe 6 inches of wifi reception at extremely low data rates, enough to get an IP address... but it’s effectively useless.

kyd
Comes here often

Many thanks for all the advices

theshmike
Getting noticed

As others mentioned, don't do it!

Are you sure about which antennas to use for the MR42E?

I am just wondering why you are trying to save ~30 bucks for the antennas when you're going to pay hundreds of bucks for the AP and the license...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels