Will Firmware upgrades ever be forced?

AutomationDude
Building a reputation

Will Firmware upgrades ever be forced?

Hello all,

If I am running my Meraki devices on a critical firmware version, will there ever be a day when that upgrade is forced? Will there ever come a point where the network goes down because the firmware is no longer supported? Will Meraki automatically push an upgrade in that scenario?

What I mean to ask is, could I theoretically run old firmware forever? I'm well aware this is really bad practice but it is for a specific use case.

Thank you

2 Replies 2
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, your devices will be automatically upgraded at some point in time:

"Firmware upgrade are deployed periodically by Cisco Meraki to all customers in a series of batches. These periodic updates are designed to maximize the availability of new features on the most stable firmware available, while minimizing the amount of downtime required during the year to perform the upgrades. At least a week prior to the periodic upgrade, all administrators configured to receive network alerts will receive an email informing them of the change and a notice of the upgrade will also be posted in Dashboard."

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Cisco_Meraki_Firmware_FAQ#...

There is a way to reschedule or cancel an automatic upgrade though:

"Note: Firmware upgrades can be scheduled up to one month in advance and can only be deferred/rescheduled for one month at a time. Cancelling scheduled firmware upgrades does not exclude a given network from future scheduled upgrades."

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Managing_Firmware_Upgrades...

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm pretty sure you can keep cancelling the upgrades, but never gone more than a couple of months past a critical date yet...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels