Wifi Calling on Meraki DHCP?

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Wifi Calling on Meraki DHCP?

I have a guest network set to Meraki DHCP with a splash page and no password. Should Wifi calling work on this? My phone seems to think not. Is there something I can modify to allow it or do I need to make it a real vlan based guest network?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
8 REPLIES 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hmm, it should allow the call to come up - but I would expect it to drop if you try and roam (NAT state is not carried over between APs).

If you use a calling technology that includes monitoring (like Microsoft Teams) it should recover automatically on a roam event with a pause.

@PhilipDAth @Follow up question

(you were right the WiFi calling worked)

Apple FaceTime is LAN aware so if you use it locally and the router can, it will give you a local connection instead of going out to the net and back. Is the same true of two Meraki DHCP users on the same MX? Like two users on a guest network? Or would that need to be a VLAN?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.

If you are using Meraki DHCP on an MR SSID, and you had "Deny Local LAN" turned OFF then users son the same MR should be able to talk to each other.  Users on different MRs - no.

The the SSID is bridging and only the MX is doing DHCP and all firewall rules allow two clients to talk to each other then it should work.

@PhilipDAth I get the first part. I wasnt sure what local LAN meant in this case but now I do. Cool.

In terms of the second part, I dont know what the context is. I just have a Meraki DHCP network where my guests go. They cant see LAN traffic like servers etc. Can you help me get that second part? Obviously I understand that under a normal VLAN this works no problem. 

That should work fine then without you having to do anything further.

Ok gotcha. Without going into too much detail.... how is that possible? Isn't the whole point of Meraki DHCP that it is designed to prevent this kind of behavior? Break it down, O.G.

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

@PhilipDAth What about pure carrier WiFi calling? In this case ATT in the US flipped on in the cellular system setting pane

I'm not familiar with those carriers.  Also note that carrier WiFi calling also has to be permitted by the carrier.  I've seen carriers that only allow WiFi calling from their own broadband customers.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels