WiFi

ChuckKing56
Conversationalist

WiFi

Why is Meraki APs better than any other?

4 Replies 4
Nash
Kind of a big deal

I think they're pretty great, but "better than any other" isn't something anyone can answer.

Do you have a specific use case? What do you need your wireless network to do, and what do you need it to not do?

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Do battlecards still exist lol?

So wireless from Meraki or Cisco or Ruckus or Aruba or XYZ is going to be for the most part, give or take some percentages, roughly the same. Model and chipset and performance will vary of course. However at the end of the day they all essentially do the same thing, 802.11

Assuming all things equal, the question is which vendor has the best 'solution'. Meraki is notorious for making things easy (sometimes too easy for us engineers who like knobs). Meraki dashboard is a breeze and AutoVPN (not wireless related, but you get my point) was a blessing for engineers.

Cisco has a knack for making things difficult sometimes. I've dabbled with Aruba once or twice, they are pretty good too.

Do you want your control-plane to be cloud based or local? All these types of architecture questions will pop up as you go down the line.

This link here I found a few years ago and while it isn't perfect and I might disagree on a few things, its pretty awesome and if you read through this you'll have better insight into what decision you want to make:

http://buyersguide.educationsuperhighway.org/learn/wireless/hardware

"Ask any wireless engineer. Any real wireless engineer. It don't matter if you Wi-Fi by one vendor or another. Wi-Fi is Wi-Fi."

-Wi-Fi Diesel (2001)-

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@ChuckKing56 wrote:

Why is Meraki APs better than any other?

Cloud.

Brons2
Building a reputation

Better is a relative term.

Meraki is easy, and it's Cisco.  Nobody ever got fired for buying Cisco.  Otherwise, they're wireless APs, what do you want them to do?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels