WiFi terrible

Yeye
New here

WiFi terrible

I have the main meraki WiFi downstairs and I have an extender upstairs and I used an ethernet  cable connected from downstairs to the upstairs one and it made the upstairs into the router. So I took the ethernet cable out and now I have terrible speeds everywhere. Even next to the router I can’t connect to WiFi. how do I fix this. 

3 Replies 3
DHAnderson
Head in the Cloud

@Yeye 

Can you let me know a bit more about your network topology.  For instance, where is your router?  Also, you said you had an extender upstairs.  Is it a Meraki Access Point or a 3rd party WiFi is Extender?

Normally all access points would be plugged into a router, or switch.  The Meraki WiFi meshing will kick in when the link to an access point goes down.

If you cannot run a cable to a Meraki access point, it will connect to the nearest other Meraki access point in mesh mode.  Throughout will be limited because the Meraki access points do not have a dedicated to mesh radio.  Performance will be best the nearest access point is in line of site.  The more building components in the way, the lower performance will be.

Dave Anderson
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is the WiFi downstairs a standalone MR?

If so, get a second one for upstairs, and plug it in via that Ethernet cable.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

You wrote, ".. I took the ethernet cable out and now I have terrible speeds everywhere"

Is that accurate?  Why can't/won't you put it back then?  It is pretty unclear from your post how you have things arranged and connected..

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels