WiFi router or Access Point for use in tunnels / mining environment

tantony
Head in the Cloud

WiFi router or Access Point for use in tunnels / mining environment

Does Meraki make any AP to be used in tunnels?  So far, the only solution is a company called Eion wireless.

What I'm trying to do is this.  When people go into tunnels, I want to get a live feed of what they're doing.  I can put a switch for this, but I'm trying to reduce cabling to make it more user friendly since the people that go into the tunnels move around a lot, and any cables will be in their way, and could easily get damaged.

If I can get an AP to work in the tunnels (not all tunnels are a straight line, some have bends, the depth is 60ft from top to bottom of the tunnel entrance), it will more easier to use.  The users will carry smart phones which will connect t to the AP to provide live video and audio.

I found this AP that might work since this is designed for use in tunnels.  Does Meraki make anything like this or any suggestions?  I'm looking for a rugged AP since the work environment is dusty, dark, cold etc.

http://eion.ibeam-solutions.com/product/tunnel 

This is what I'm thinking so far

tantony_1-1628442799683.png

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki don't make any products for use in mines.

I'd stick to proper mining rated equipment.  The last thing you want is an explosion or safety incident.

@PhilipDAth 

I agree, but that's the only vendor I could find so far.  Any suggestions?

Aruba makes a couple, Solexy a couple... Just google intrinsically safe wireless access points

WB
Building a reputation

Cisco themselves make ruggedised APs that are rated for/used on mine sites

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Please see this Cisco solutions document including case studies of mining installations: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Verticals/Industrial_Automation/IA_Verticals/Mining/...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels