WiFi Invalid Password error

Elvis
Conversationalist

WiFi Invalid Password error

Guest users at a hotel surfing just fine then they get kicked off.   When it tries to reconnect they get password error.   They have to "forget network" and re-add it.   Then it works for a while again.  

9 REPLIES 9
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Maybe a rogue AP trying to steal data?  Have you looked at air marshal for anything?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Elvis
Conversationalist

It doesn't show any rogue APs.   That's all I looked at so far.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Next would be what type of authentication on that SSID and what type of client?  Maybe something around MAC randomization and hotel splash page authentication, etc.

Elvis
Conversationalist

No splash page luckily.

type='WPA-PSK auth fail' associated='false' radio='1' vap='1'    Standard WPA PSK

Elvis
Conversationalist

Every kind of device seems affected equally.   Android, Apple, watches, phones ipads etc.

@Elvis  Are there any firmware updates available for the AP's you are using?

And this has started happening recently and used to be fine, I suppose?  Have you tried just rebooting MR's?  And how often or (or rarely) does this occur?  If you can easily reproduce it and have restarted MR's I would demonstrate to Meraki support and let them help you.

Elvis
Conversationalist

There is one update available.   It didn't seem to have related fixes.   maybe worth a shot.

It started a couple of months ago.   I'm thinking there is rogue dhcp or something.   or some layer 2 issue.

Elvis
Conversationalist

Check that the client doesn't have an old password saved, that they selected the right SSID, that they were entering the password correctly, and that the password was configured as expected. If all the details provided are correct, the client can still fail during the packet exchange required for a successful authentication.

This what shows in the event logs.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels