Wi-Fi dropouts - antenna dB power advice

Craig10
Here to help

Wi-Fi dropouts - antenna dB power advice

Hi,

We have been experiencing Wi-Fi dropouts & closer inspection with Wi-Fi Analyzer app reveals that some of the APs are not broadcasting their signal out as strongly as some others (i.e AP across the room = -62dB but AP right next to me = -74dB).

i.e an AP further away from me has a stronger signal than the one right next to me.

In the Meraki portal I can see that the antenna power is set to Auto & the power settings of each AP is slightly different & can randomly change power-

Craig10_0-1664274823471.png

My question is, am I ok to manually adjust & test this and more importantly has anyone has any success in changing the antenna power & can give me any feedback and advice regarding this? 

1 REPLY 1
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Craig10 

This is a rather difficult discussion. By default, Auto TX Power is enabled to facilitate management and most importantly, APs adjust transmit power to prevent signals from overlapping, thus avoiding interference, high channel utilization, among other things.

In most scenarios, the recommendation is always to leave it automatic, and we usually adjust it manually in HDX environments and other specific cases.

So my recommendation is not to change it if you don't have RF expertise.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Location_Analytics/Meraki_Auto_RF%3A__W...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels