Wi-Fi RADIUS Authentication failed

SOLVED
fjulianom
Getting noticed

Wi-Fi RADIUS Authentication failed

Hi experts,

I am using RADIUS authentication to connect to the Wi-Fi network, I have two Windows Servers with AD where I have aggregated the RADIUS role and created the RADIUS clients, and so on. With the primary RADIUS server it works fine, but with the secondary RADIUS server there is a credentials issue:

radius_fail.png

However, I am entering the same credentials and the user is created in both servers. Do you have experimented the same issue? Any tip?

Regards,

Julián

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

The root issue was that the second NPS server did not have a certificate installed & configured in the NPS policy. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Markus
Here to help

Hi Julian,

are you using Microsoft NPS, or what is your RADIUS Server?

I have implemented this many times and not seen this issue so far.

Normally your RADIUS Servers authenticate against the same AD's. (Could be different servers, but the same AD cluster)
Could you explain the setup in more detail?

Regards,

Markus

Adam
Kind of a big deal

If I run that same test from the Meraki dashboard it fails but my radius is working fine with NPS.  I think I called Meraki about that a long time ago but I can't remember what they said about the reliability of that test.  So you may want to try connecting an actual client to your SSID to test. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
fjulianom
Getting noticed

Hi Adam,

Thanks for that recommendation, I will test it.

Regards,

Julián

Hi Markus,

I don't know very much about servers, I have to check the detail configuration with customer. So far I know there are two Windows Servers with AD, in each Windows Server I have aggregated the RADIUS role, Microsoft NPS. I know each Windows Server has its own AD, but I don't know if they are in the same cluster or not (I guess so because customer told me the configurations in both ADs are replicated automatically, but I don't know if that has to do with AD clusters or not).

Regards,

Julián

Yes, AD is replicating automatically, but NPS is not. The config needs to be manually synched between the two servers.
Maybe you should check this is the case.

In my setup the check in dashboard was successfull for all RADIUS servers.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

I agree with @Markus comment.  The NPS config on each server will be important to review.  There are a lot of moving parts to make sure NPS is configured properly on both the server and also on the clients (GPO).  Shared secret, Policy Conditions/Constraints, etc...

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
fjulianom
Getting noticed

Hi guys,

Just in case, do you know how difficult is the synchronization of RADIUS servers? Because I have googled out and seen that a PowerShell script is needed. If it is very difficult I will tell customer to implement it.

Regards,

Julián

You can also export and import the config in the GUI if you want.

Hi Markus,

I don't understand, what do you mean?

Regards,

Julián

In the NPS GUI you can export the config as XML and import it on the other NPS so they are in sync with the config.

Hi Markus,

OK, I understand, I will try it. Thank you very much!

Regards,

Julián

Hi Markus and Adam,

One more question about that. I have delete the primary RADIUS server under Wireless > Access control > RADIUS servers and left the secondary server and try to authenticate, it was unsuccessful. Is this correct? If I authenticate with only one RADIUS server (the secondary) and get EAP failure is it due to previous RADIUS synchronization problem?

Regards,

Julián

Yes... It actually does not matter whether you have one or two RADIUS Servers configured. Both of them need to be successfull.

If you get an error, there is a problem with the RADIUS Server or the credentials. In your case I think it is the NPS.

I‘d recommend to have a look into the NPS log.

Did you check that already?

Did you export and import the NPS Config?

Hi Markus,

I have just exported the NPS configuration of the primary RADIUS server and imported to the secondary RADIUS server. I have deleted the primary RADIUS server in the dashboard and the authentication is still unsuccessful. The NPS log is the same I sent you. Do you guess something?

Regards,

Julián

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

What does the NPS log say when you try to authenticate? Are you using this NPS server for anything other than the Meraki AP's? Can you ping the NPS server from the subnet where the AP's are (management interface)? 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

The root issue was that the second NPS server did not have a certificate installed & configured in the NPS policy. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

Hi MRCUR,

Yeah, that's right and thanks for your help.

Regards,

Julián

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels