Why you shouldn't be using 2,4Ghz in your deployments anymore!

Mace
Here to help

Why you shouldn't be using 2,4Ghz in your deployments anymore!

As seen in our mobile network for our trade show booth, at a broadband communications trade show:

Mace_1-1655196050119.pngMace_2-1655196068412.png

Only an appropriate concept, whether it is organizational or technical measures, can prevent something like this.
Unfortunately, we could not deactivate the 2.4Ghz band because we had to ensure the operation of IoT devices (the good news: the fair only lasts two days). However, the transmission and reception quality is accordingly.

Br,

Marco

5 Replies 5
acarpenter
New here

But if you disable that 2.4G then you'll have some devices unable to connect at all (because they don't have 5G) and the rest of them will move to 5G and add even more load to those radios.

I'd rather have both frequencies enabled, and at least the load will be spread between the two.

I won't go into too much technical detail, but clients can be distributed better in the 5Ghz band, since there are significantly more overlap-free channels (up to 19) available. The 2.4Ghz band only offers 3 here.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

However Meraki recommend no more than 10 devices per radio when using wireless voice.  So if you have both bands you can have 20 devices per AP, or reserve 5GHz for voice and leave the other SSIDs on 2.4GHz.

Obviously with the interference you are seeing 2.4 is pretty pointless!

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I usually disable SSID's on the 5 GHz unless the client really has some devices that are critical that don't support it.  The only devices that still are on 2.4 are usually some IoT devices and especially "industrial" IoT devices.

I'd rather have intraband roaming than betting that some clients will move to 2.4 GHz for load.  If you design your network correctly you don't need 2.4 GHz.

WB
Building a reputation

Very much an 'it depends' scenario. Yes best practice is to not use 2.4 or at least tune TxPower right down, especially with 6E coming in now, but there will be environments where it's a requirement due to single-band devices in use or they require the additional range where there's no alternative to have a closer AP within 5 GHz range.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels