Why are devices on 2.4ghz constantly disconnecting and reconnecting?

Trunolimit1
Conversationalist

Why are devices on 2.4ghz constantly disconnecting and reconnecting?

I have a few devices that are 2.4ghz only. they all are constantly disconnecting and reconnecting. I checked the ewifi health and its green all across the board. Any ideas?

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you click on the client and go to the "Roaming" tab - doe sit say anything interesting?

PhilipDAth_0-1684180036549.png

What kind of device is having the issue?  Have you tried updating the WiFi driver on a test device?

Anything interesting under Network-Wide/Event Log for a client with the issue?  What is the reason given for the disconnect?

I don't have that option. but I can see the client is moving around a lot

Trunolimit1_0-1684445204810.pngTrunolimit1_1-1684445595214.png

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Becomes a very generic question with little information. Can you provide more details? Such as settings, AP model, software version, etc.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
a5it
Getting noticed

I understand that you're experiencing some connectivity issues with your 2.4GHz-only devices, despite the WiFi health status being green. Here are some steps we can take to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Interference: The 2.4GHz band is more susceptible to interference because many common household devices (like microwaves, cordless phones, etc.) use this band. Also, the 2.4GHz band has fewer non-overlapping channels compared to the 5GHz band, which can lead to interference if there are many WiFi networks nearby. You can use Meraki's built-in RF Spectrum tool to check for potential sources of interference.

2. Channel Utilization: High channel utilization can cause connectivity issues. You can check the channel utilization in the Meraki Dashboard under Wireless > Monitor > RF Spectrum.

3. Device Drivers: Ensure that the drivers for your wireless devices are up-to-date. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause connectivity problems.

4. Wireless Settings: Check the settings of your wireless network. Make sure that the 2.4GHz band is enabled and the channel settings are appropriate. Also, check if settings like client balancing or band steering are enabled as they can sometimes cause issues with 2.4GHz-only devices.

5. Firmware: Ensure your Meraki devices are running the latest firmware. Outdated firmware can sometimes cause connectivity issues.

6. Distance and Obstacles: Keep in mind that physical distance and obstacles (like walls) can affect WiFi signal strength. If the affected devices are far from the access point or there are many obstacles in the way, this could be causing the connectivity issues.

Trunolimit1
Conversationalist

I originally thought it was a 2.4ghz issue only because the devices we noticed it on only do 2.4 but it seems like a few clients are just going crazy, dropping connection.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels