Whitelist IoT Devices on SSID with a captive portal

SOLVED
Boundless
Getting noticed

Whitelist IoT Devices on SSID with a captive portal

Hi all,

First, let me wish to all the Meraki community an amazing year in 2023!

I have a question regarding the connection of IoT devices. There are some topics on the forum but it is not exactly what I'm looking for.

My question is: Is there a way to easily whitelist an IoT device (google nest, sonos...) on a SSID where an external captive portal is set up? I don't want to create a dedicated SSID for those devices as I want users connected through the portal to see those devices.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Ned

Noel-Edouard Chenu
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES 4
Boundless
Getting noticed

Thanks for your help!

Noel-Edouard Chenu
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can also create a group policy to apply to the IoT devices that bypasses the splash page, and just gives the device access.

Search for "Remove the splash".

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Creating_and_Applying... 

Thanks Philip. I was finally able to run some tests and validate the best approach.

I believe the group policy would be the easiest one. But I couldn't figure out whether I would be able to see the IoT device if I am connected to the guest SSID. Guest users are usually separated from the network.

Thanks in advance

Ned

Noel-Edouard Chenu
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels