What traffic is filtered on Meraki Wlan?

Forrest44
Comes here often

What traffic is filtered on Meraki Wlan?

Hi,

We use 1 MX220-8 and 9 MR33 Meraki APs.

Although I use no content filtering or no firewall, a lot of things seem to be blocked.

1) O365 apps only function correctly when connected to the wired Lan, when connecting to the Wlan we have a working internet connection, but O365 account check by Microsoft fails all the time giving a lot of annoyance to the users.

2) When I try to update my Kaspersky AntiVirus definitions on my Android smartphone, it always fails asking me to try later on. But it never works on our Meraki Wlan. At any other Wlan it works though...

At access control I used to block adult content, but this morning I don't filter it anymore. Still no improvement.

I don't know what to do anymore. 

Regards,

Erik

7 Replies 7
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Erik

I understand by default Meraki Wireless network will not block any content unless we configure Firewall and Access Control on the dashboard.

Or you have a upstream firewall to filter contents.

When you say wired works fine does that mean you are connected to Meraki Switch.

How are you bringing internet to switch? 

How do you provide power to 9 APs?

Could you please share some more information on your connectivity?

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

Hi Ajit,

thank's for sharing intrest 🙂

7x MR33s are connected to my MX220 Meraki switch, 2x MRs are connected to another PoE switch (Dell Powerconnect) in another building.

They share an internet connection which is indeed passing through a SonicWall NSA220 firewall.

But on this firewall, I permit any traffic between the interface bringing in the internet and the Meraki side.

The Meraki MX220 in this building is now functioning mainly as PoE switch for the MR33 APs. There is 1switchport available, I will try to perform some tests today with a laptop and O365. I will keep you posted when I've got more info about these tests.

The Meraki MX220 switch seems quite ok, because we've got the same issue in the other building where we don't use the Meraki switch.

Kind regards,

Erik

I assume these issues are on the same SSID? I would check the SSID config, make sure it is in bridge mode. I am thinking the Sonicwall might be configured to allow for the LAN subnet and not the Meraki DHCP subnet that is NATd. Another option is to create a new SSID for testing, remove any restrictions and check the results.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

How are you connecting 9 APs to an 8 port switch?

Nash
Kind of a big deal

1 or more APs is functioning as a repeater, maybe?

Forrest44
Comes here often

Negative, no APs are functioning as repeaters.

7x MR33 APs are connected to the MX220-8 switch, 2x MR33 are situated in another building, they are connected to a Dell PowerConnect3548 (Poe) switch. All APs are powered by Poe switches.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels