What is your prefer Minimum Bitrate

SOLVED
MMoss
Building a reputation

What is your prefer Minimum Bitrate

I'm doing some tweaking on our Wireless Network to try and optimize it better. I recently just finished up a series of upgrades with newer equipment, More AP's, and more optimized locations for each. I'd like to change my Minimum bitrate as part of that goal. Upping the minimum should prompt devices to seek out a better AP when it drops before that rate instead of hanging onto the original one. What would be recommended as a good starting bitrate? Currently it's only set to 12Mpbs in order to remove any legacy Wi-Fi and using Bandwidth Steering.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@kYutobiI would strongly advise against using 18 as the minimum.
You should always use 12 or 24 as basic rates.  9,18,36,48 are not the typical rates in all devices.

As for the discussion: 12 Mbps is usually the lowest mandatory rate, going up to 24 could be OK too but does not have the most significant gain in airtime.  Minimizing SSID's has a better impact.

If you're absolutely sure your design spec meets 24Mbps everywhere for the weakest device in your network, then sure go for it, but I suspect drops or issues around staircases and elevators if you do.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Typically I start with 12Mbps and then the WLAN gets evaluated (if not done before). Most of the time it ends up on 24 Mbps which often is a reasonable compromise and typically works very well. But as always: "It depends!"

MMoss
Building a reputation

@KarstenI I was thinking 24 as well because I've had a few cases where I think the device is not wanting to released it's current AP for a better one. I'm just not sure if 24 is high enough for our environment. When the bitrate drops before the minimum and there is no better AP does the AP cut their connection or just wait for the client to move on for example? Is the AP prompting the client to move on or is the AP just cutting them off when it drops below the limit?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Again, many "it depends" ...

The AP can tell the client that other APs are candidates to roam to, this is 802.11k and has broad support at least on devices found on enterprise networks. iOS has it since version 6 or 7 (don't remember exactly). But knowing these other APs is of no value if they are not yet in range of the client with the minimum rate.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I set mine to 18 just to be rid of "B" devices.

Enthusiast
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@kYutobiI would strongly advise against using 18 as the minimum.
You should always use 12 or 24 as basic rates.  9,18,36,48 are not the typical rates in all devices.

As for the discussion: 12 Mbps is usually the lowest mandatory rate, going up to 24 could be OK too but does not have the most significant gain in airtime.  Minimizing SSID's has a better impact.

If you're absolutely sure your design spec meets 24Mbps everywhere for the weakest device in your network, then sure go for it, but I suspect drops or issues around staircases and elevators if you do.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I use 12Mb/s 99% of the time for maximum compatibility.

The rest of the time I use 54Mb/s to make for the smallest coverage footprint in which a user can connect.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels