What is the positive and negative sign next to the channel means?

Ching023
Here to help

What is the positive and negative sign next to the channel means?

Hi All,

It might be a dump question, but I can't find an answer by search.

take a look of the screenshot from my.meraki.com.

what is the + sign and - sign next to the channel means?

ChannelSign.jpeg

Does it tell something about the the wifi/AP health?

thanks,

2 REPLIES 2
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

As a temporary test, try setting your default channel width to 20MHz channels under Wireless > Radio Settings, then go back to my.meraki.com and refresh the page and see if those plus and minus signs go away.  Then go back to 40MHz and they should return. 

This should be indicating multiple bonded channels when you're running 40 or 80MHz channel widths, so 161- indicates a 40MHz channel bonding of 157+161, while 149+ indicates channels 149 and 153 bonded to be a 40MHz channel.  Try it both ways and check the results. 

I think you'll find that the channel reported is the primary channel (like 149 and 161 in your case) while the positive or negative offset indicates the direction up or down the spectrum for the secondary channel (which would be 153 and 157 respectively in your case).

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

The values 13-(2472/2452 MHz) means the AP is using 40Mhz channel width because there are 2 frequencies

• For the 2.4Ghz band:
    • The first number is the centre frequency the second number is the bonded channel
    • A Plus sign + indicates the bonded channel is higher up the frequency range
    • A Minus sign - indicates the bonded channel is lower down the frequency range. 
  • For the 5Ghz band
    • There can be up to 4 numbers due to 80Mhz channel width (1, 2 or 4)
    • The number between square brackets [ ] is the centre frequency
Enthusiast
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels