What is the Minimum bitrate setting?

ericliu
Comes here often

What is the Minimum bitrate setting?

Is the Minimum bitrate set to 54Mbps the most suitable?

4 REPLIES 4
Adam
Kind of a big deal

I have mine set for 12-54 and haven't had any trouble.  I believe that is the default.  But here is some documentation on the setting as well.  https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Radio_Settings/Minimum_Bitrate_Control

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi

You may also refer to the following Url

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Deployment_Guides/High_Density_Wi-Fi_Deployment_Guide_(CVD)#Set_...

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Modern devices might cope with a minimum of 54Mb/s - but many older devices wont be able to connect.  12Mb/s gives very high compatibility while preventing legacy 802.11b devices from connecting, and helps encourage roaming.

Even if you set the minimum to 54Mb/s, you would want a lot of APs in the your environment to ensure people could roam from AP to AP without loosing their connection.

cta102
Building a reputation

12Mb is considered to be the normal minimum setting to use as you can get strangeness with some chipsets especially for their initial connections if you set a higher value.

My son's HP laptop will not make a new association (after a rebuild) if you set the minimum rate at 18Mb or above, after the very first association you can then turn up the minimum bit rate without any issues (so I think HP were doing something stupid with their stack though.)

I dug through every Wi-Fi equipped device that I have access to and other stuff have strange things when setting up a new connection, with Nintendo products being the most horrible so that isn't really an issue for most Meraki installs.

For reference, some won't make an initial connection if band steering is enabled, some insist upon 802.11b speeds being available for the first association, then they are happy running on 802.11g

I only mention this as I am sure other devices suffer from strange behaviour too such some Zebra (Motorola) devices can't connect to a certain competitors APs for example due to DHCP options not being parsed properly, so even though the the spec says things 'should be good' reality says otherwise.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels