Weird interference issues being displayed.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Weird interference issues being displayed.

kYutobi_0-1620048339580.png

So this is an odd one. Anytime I run a speed test of any kind. The interference is raised and then does back down when test is finished. Has this happened to anyone else? 

Enthusiast
6 REPLIES 6
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@kYutobi Interference due to speed test, this is weird. I never encountered this type of problem. I knew interference with the common sources 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Common_Sources_of_Wireless_Interf...

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@Inderdeep So odd right!? I know it's also that we've had these APs for many years but it's probable that because of its firmware version and being EOS it will most likely have performance issues in the future .  

Enthusiast
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

yeah its weird, But Upgrade to latest Firmware (Stable one) and then test again

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think that always has been the case.

It doesnt say interference.  Its channel utilization and you using it yourself. 

"The channel utilization information on the local status page is sourced from the client serving radio. The client serving radio on the Meraki Access Point has a counter that is updated every 20 sec. Counters indicate how many times the AP was transmitting, receiving and saw congestion on the channel as well as the total cycle count. After every 3 seconds, the AP reads the counters and computes the difference between the value from 3 seconds ago and the new value. This difference is used to calculate the channel utilization and is displayed on the local status page. "

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@ww I had a co worker look at the AP itself from dashboard and it was showing the same % interference but would you say it's the same case as you explained? I ran another speed test so you can see it from the AP side not the local status.

"The channel utilization information on the local status page is sourced from the client serving radio. The client serving radio on the Meraki Access Point has a counter that is updated every 20 sec. Counters indicate how many times the AP was transmitting, receiving and saw congestion on the channel as well as the total cycle count. After every 3 seconds, the AP reads the counters and computes the difference between the value from 3 seconds ago and the new value. This difference is used to calculate the channel utilization and is displayed on the local status page. "

kYutobi_0-1620056805294.png

Enthusiast
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It shows the same information in a combined chart. 

802.11 traffic

and

non 802.11 interference 

So i asume its calculated  the same way.  But cant find documentation about the dashboard part

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels