We need a Wi-Fi count per tag/building

SOLVED
Jamieinbox
Getting noticed

We need a Wi-Fi count per tag/building

The business ask is that we get a daily report on the number of Wi-Fi connections in our buildings that we have labeled with the building tag. I cannot find a way to get this report from the Meraki reporting engine. I understand there are DNA spaces, but we are not looking for anything really by means of analytics. Maybe someday, but more a capacity report for planning and use. And yes- they want at least the Wi-Fi vision of numbers for COVID. We aren't looking to do wayfinding or anything I would consider 2nd tier analysis.

Anyone have any idea of how to get this info. Reports from Meraki would be great- or if anyone has done this with the APIs...

Thanks in advance. Comments and thoughts most welcome- including... did ya read this part of the manual? 😄

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nash
Kind of a big deal

I mean you'll have to read the (heckin) manual for part of this, because that's how we API, but:

You want to know number of devices that have associated to the wireless network in a given span of time?

I use Python so this is going to be Python-y.

If you need to know on a per AP basis, you could:

1. Pull a list of APs (Pull on a per org or per network basis; check model[0:2] in Python to see if it's an MR)
  2. Pull a list of clients per AP
  3. Drop it in a spreadsheet using something like openpyxl

If you need it on a per-network basis:

1. Pull network clients
  2. Check the SSID field for a value OTHER THAN null
  3. Drop list of clients into a spreadsheet using something like openpyxl.

Then just run this as a cronjob someplace, or do it on demand via CLI or a Flask app, and there you go.

If you have a bunch of networks, get fancy, make a table of contents, and do one tab per network in openpyxl. I need to refactor it badly, but I've got an example here that I threw together for a per org device inventory.

Caveat: I use kludges because I run into networks with a bunch of APs that aren't placed on a map and I am unable to place on a map accurately, so heatmap is not... so useful for me. You don't want to be me, maybe.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Network-dad
A model citizen

I found this article a while ago about Meraki Location Analytics https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Location_Analytics..

I know it doesn't quite give you a defined answer but it is a good read for what you are looking for... 

Dakota Snow | Network-dad Linkdedin
CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
Check out The Bearded I.T. Dad onThe Bearded I.T. DadThe Bearded I.T. Dad

Thank you- much appreciated!

Nash
Kind of a big deal

I mean you'll have to read the (heckin) manual for part of this, because that's how we API, but:

You want to know number of devices that have associated to the wireless network in a given span of time?

I use Python so this is going to be Python-y.

If you need to know on a per AP basis, you could:

1. Pull a list of APs (Pull on a per org or per network basis; check model[0:2] in Python to see if it's an MR)
  2. Pull a list of clients per AP
  3. Drop it in a spreadsheet using something like openpyxl

If you need it on a per-network basis:

1. Pull network clients
  2. Check the SSID field for a value OTHER THAN null
  3. Drop list of clients into a spreadsheet using something like openpyxl.

Then just run this as a cronjob someplace, or do it on demand via CLI or a Flask app, and there you go.

If you have a bunch of networks, get fancy, make a table of contents, and do one tab per network in openpyxl. I need to refactor it badly, but I've got an example here that I threw together for a per org device inventory.

Caveat: I use kludges because I run into networks with a bunch of APs that aren't placed on a map and I am unable to place on a map accurately, so heatmap is not... so useful for me. You don't want to be me, maybe.

Thank you, this is perfect. I am also hoping that I can get this report, with all other tags in one daily emailed summary report. I made a "wish" for that feature.Thanks for replying, I appreciate it!

This is excellent! I need to digest this a bit- but this is what's needed. I needed a bit of flexibility as I can get a report on a tag/building- but I really need one report summary (one page) for execs. I really appreciate your input!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There are two reports of interest.

Go Organization/Summary Report, and use the option to report on a tag.

PhilipDAth_0-1593541492838.png

Go Organization/Location Analytics and select the option to report on a tag.

PhilipDAth_1-1593541433375.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels