WPA3 Enterprise Transition Mode

pdeleuw
Getting noticed

WPA3 Enterprise Transition Mode

Hi,

I have noticed that WPA3 Transition Mode is available with WPA3 Personal only. When I switch to WPA3 Enterprise, there are the only options WPA3 only (bad idea, there are too many non-WPA3-capable clients) and WPA2.

Is there any reason for not supporting WPA3 Enterprise Transition Mode?

Best regards

Peter

7 REPLIES 7
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I remember a discussion here in the forum that it is planned to be included in the next release MR28.

Thank you, @KarstenI, for your reply. I did not find anything here about it. Maybe I have not searched the correct way.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Or I remembered wrong ... I also do not find it. Anyone else?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are referring to WPA3 OWE that is coming, but not in V28 due in 21H1, it is due in a later version.

pdeleuw
Getting noticed

@cmr- WPA3 OWE is not the option I am interested in. It is the WPA3 Enterprise Transition Mode. Unfortunately, there is no beta for the MR devices, so there are no release notes for versions > 27.x.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have found terrible compatibility with existing WPA2 devices when I last tried it - making it unusable.

Eventually all the WPA2 drivers will get updates so they can work with it, but I don't feel very hopefull.

@PhilipDAth I've noticed the same interop wise. Ironically almost every client that worked with WPA2-WPA3 personal transition mode also just works with WPA3. The handful of WPA2-only clients I had struggled to deal with a transitionary network.

I'm getting pretty tempted to segregate SSIDs to give me a WPA3 dedicated SSID. Even with PSKs, WPA3's fast transitions help a lot with video streaming when jumping between APs. WPA2 + 802.11r was great at that too but now with KRACK I'm still afraid to use that combo with PSK.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels