WIFI 6 APs and 2021 MacBook Pros --anybody using this combo?

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

WIFI 6 APs and 2021 MacBook Pros --anybody using this combo?

Hi there all

I have a bunch of late model Apple hardware users - iPhone 13 Pros etc and new 2021 MacBook Pros. I have noticed some instability with my Verizon supplied FIOS router that does 802.11ax--Macbooks drop from time to time so I switched it down to 802.11ac and now its solid as a rock. Im considering a new installation and instead of using the tried and true MR52, I am thinking of going for WIFI 6 access points. Anybody have experience with how thats going on late model Apple hardware? Anything to be aware of? It'll be on gigabit fiber out in the middle of nowhere in Hudson, NY on a farm. There are three houses, maybe 100 feet from each other. Thinking 3 per house should do it. Id love to use fat channels and get stupid awesome link speeds but stability is #1.

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
5 REPLIES 5
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I have nothing but Apple things here (3 TVs, 2 iPhones, homepod, latest iMac, latest Airs, handful of slightly older Macbook Pros) along with dozens of other non Apple wifi devices. I use 2 MR56s and a MR46 mesh repeater. Zero wireless issues.

Thanks for the reply. Great to hear. How many are 802.11ax capable devices? Whats the fastest transfer speeds you see on your WLAN?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I dont think meraki is selling wifi5 anymore are they? 

Would buy new ones for longer software support. You can turn of ax in the wifi profile if needed.

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

They don't. I have some back inventory I am using through.

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Actually it looks like maybe they still are selling Wifi5.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels