Updateing MR-Accesspoints: some are always left?

redsector
Head in the Cloud

Updateing MR-Accesspoints: some are always left?

Hey, I have a strange thing:

When I do updates on a wireless network with for example 54 accesspoints I can count on it that two or three don´t reboot for the update. I check all accesspoints and can see in the time-table on the statuspage of the accesspoints the green ribbon with the short red part shon as "reboot (firmware upgrade)". But not on a few. And it´s not always the same accesspoints. After wireless network update the status page shows the new firmware, but I don´t believe, because there is no ping timeout on the affected accesspoints, so the didn´t update. Even after an hardware reboot it didn´t update.

Anybody else with this issue?

2 REPLIES 2
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I have seen this once or twice on other customer networks and we found that the APs did actually reboot into the new firmware, but the short sliver of red wasn't reflected in the connectivity graph.  It was a one time thing and they chalked it up to a cosmetic issue.  But it sounds like in your case, the APs are not actually rebooting into the new firmware, and is also sounds like this is a regular occurrence and happens on a couple of different APs in your deployment when you upgrade firmware, so I'd log a case with Support, so they can track it and/or add it to an existing bug report.  Also, I'm assuming none of the APs are firmware-pinned, because that's the only other time when a firmware upgrade would skip specific APs that were administratively pinned by Support to a specific version.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I tend to schedule MR and MS upgrades together.  I do the MR upgrades first, and then MS an hour later.

Doing the MS means that all the MRs will get an automatic reboot as the switch powering them gets rebooted.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels