Unable to update past 24.12/Clients disconnecting

Jmezo
Here to help

Unable to update past 24.12/Clients disconnecting

Hi all,

We run all MR 52s in our environment, and I can't seem to update them past firmware version 24.12 without it causing issues with clients disconnecting.

This has been happening for years with our Dell e5550 laptops running Windows 7 with Intel 7265 wireless adapters.  So I left the firmware at 24.12.  Now we've updated all our laptops to HP Probook x360 440 G1s, with Windows 10 and Realtek RTL8822BE adapters and I'm still seeing the same issue when updating to 25.13 or 25.14.

It only seems to happen with our teacher laptops on our staff SSID. It doesn't seem to happen at all with our student Chromebooks on the student SSID. 

Has anyone run into anything like this?

4 REPLIES 4
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

This is my thread. We have been having issues specifically with the 7265 card not holding on to their connections. Please talk to Dell as we have been fighting with them since July about this and finally got an exchange. Hope this helps.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/Dell-Chromebook-wifi-issue/m-p/53359#M8041

Enthusiast

Thanks for the response kYutobi.  This would help explain the Dell issue maybe, but not why it's happening with the HPs with the Realtek cards.

Also why does everything work fine with firmware 24.12, but anything after that causes the issue?  I need to look at the patch notes and see what was added afterwards in the next firmware up that might cause this.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@Jmezo Maybe something that the 7265 cards can't handle. So from what I got fighting with Dell and getting this figured out is that the card themselves timeout so the Meraki AP disassociates. That's from a packet capture by the way. So I don't think it has nothing to do with the AP's

Enthusiast

Sorry it's been a while since I got back on this.

I thought I had the problem resolved by switching the troubled SSID to 5Ghz only.  I hadn't heard any complaints until I pushed the firmware to 25.13 at a couple of my larger schools.  Now I've got a couple users with the Dells that are complaining of the issue happening.

I'm thinking you're correct on it being more of an issue with the card.  I just don't understand what could be so different in the firmware version that would make this happen.

Anyways I've found a new driver from 10/2019 for the 7265 card and I'm going to test that out now and see if it helps.

I'll keep you updated.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels