Two SSID's with Different Default Gateways?

SOLVED
LS-MERAKI-CR
Here to help

Two SSID's with Different Default Gateways?

Hi everybody!

Does anyone know how to configure two SSID's With Different Default Gateways?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That's correct, you can run any Meraki SSID in NAT mode, and the AP will be the NAT boundary and run a DHCP server and the clients will get a seemingly random 10.0.0.0/8 address and also be L2 isolated from one another and can only communicate with their default gateway.  Quick & simple way to stand up a guest SSID for example.  If you want to control different VLANs/subnets and DHCP services you would need to introduce an MX appliance (or an L3 switch) into the solution and then you simply define as many VLANs as you need, configure your DHCP scopes, and run the SSIDs in bridge mode and assign them to the appropriate VLAN.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Well, an SSID itself doesn't have a gateway assigned, but you will want to use bridged mode and then then add at least one VLAN tagged to a trunk port that your AP connect to.  then you can tell SSID#1 to just use the native VLAN and SSID#2 to use the tagged VLAN.  Your DHCP server will hand out the default gateway.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Hi friend.

Thank you for your suggestion. It sounds good from the VLAN point of view.

I want to investigate a bit more to know if it is possible to completely create the network with its mask and its gateway within MERAKI, so that the choice of the gateway does not depend on an equipment external to the MERAKI WiFi network. But I think that at the moment MERAKI's capabilities do not allow it yet.

Well, it will depend on the switch and probably also the router/firewall to manage the VLAN.  Those could all be Meraki, but you are correct it can't be done with only a wireless access point since the AP does not act as a DHCP server (with the exception of guest mode)

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Yes, Mr. Totally agree.

It would be very useful if the DHCP of MERAKI could allow creating different manual scopes and to each one to set up a different network segment and gateway. I think I'll put it on the wish list for future MERAKI improvements.

Thank you very much for your contributions to the subject.

Greetings from Costa Rica!

Meraki can do it, but you need an MX is what @BrandonS is saying 🙂

That's correct, you can run any Meraki SSID in NAT mode, and the AP will be the NAT boundary and run a DHCP server and the clients will get a seemingly random 10.0.0.0/8 address and also be L2 isolated from one another and can only communicate with their default gateway.  Quick & simple way to stand up a guest SSID for example.  If you want to control different VLANs/subnets and DHCP services you would need to introduce an MX appliance (or an L3 switch) into the solution and then you simply define as many VLANs as you need, configure your DHCP scopes, and run the SSIDs in bridge mode and assign them to the appropriate VLAN.  

Hi friend!
Thank you very much for your advice on using a CISCO MX, I would have liked it possible to do this directly in the cloud, without having an MX or an L3 switch, it seems to me that CISCO is extremely efficient and should allow to use the manual services of DHCP and create specific SCOPES directly in the cloud, but it does not matter, I'll keep dreaming of this, maybe one day CISCO will allow it.
Best regards from Costa Rica!!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels