Total number of clients counter

Solved
nrlwells
Conversationalist

Total number of clients counter

Hi, is there any way to count the total number of clients that have ever connected to an SSID?

I'd like a webpage with a counter -  total number of new clients connected = n

So that every time a new client connects to a specific SSID the counter increments by 1

Can anyone recommend a way to do this please?

1 Accepted Solution
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

There are probably several ways to do this. I would probably do it using the Meraki scanning API.

Basically the scanning API makes the Meraki dashboard send you updates about connected and non-connected WLAN and bluetooth devices seen by your access points. You'll need your own back-end to receive these updates and process them.

If you filter these events by the ssid data element, that will filter out those clients that are not connected and those that are connected to an SSID you're not interested in. Then you just keep a database of the MAC-addresses you see (perhaps hashed for GDPR purposes). A simple count of those rows will then provide the info you need.

More info about the scanning API:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Scanning_API

I think built-in counters in the dashboard location analytics will probably all be limited in time range.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

There are probably several ways to do this. I would probably do it using the Meraki scanning API.

Basically the scanning API makes the Meraki dashboard send you updates about connected and non-connected WLAN and bluetooth devices seen by your access points. You'll need your own back-end to receive these updates and process them.

If you filter these events by the ssid data element, that will filter out those clients that are not connected and those that are connected to an SSID you're not interested in. Then you just keep a database of the MAC-addresses you see (perhaps hashed for GDPR purposes). A simple count of those rows will then provide the info you need.

More info about the scanning API:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Scanning_API

I think built-in counters in the dashboard location analytics will probably all be limited in time range.

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

did a request on this to the support as well...

They said there is "absolutelly no chance at the moment" I had to make a wish on this.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels